My first taste of DH

dan sharddan shard Posts: 722
edited November 2011 in Downhill, freeride and 4X
Ive been riding trail centres for quite a long time now and progressed quite well and consistantly to the pont where Im happy on any UK black run, but Ive had an itch that I just couldnt ignore in the form of DH, so when I was at the Forest of Dean for the first time at the weekend I was shown the DH runs by a mate who lives round the corner.

Firstly..yes I know, its not 'proper' DH in comparison to say Fort Bill or Chatel but its the closest I've ever been.

All I can say is wow!! I absolutely loved it!! Did the corkscrew and the ski run and sessioned most of the sections till it was too dark...Totallly hooked now and seriously considering trading in my Remedy for a scratch / session :D

Happy days

• NorthwindNorthwind Posts: 15,475
    Good on you... So many people won't even attempt it because they think it's not what they do. It's just riding bikes!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • miss notaxmiss notax Posts: 2,823
    Hi Dan :D

How did it compare to the trail centre type stuff you have ridden in the past? I am quite keen to give the Forest of Dean a try, but i'm slightly scared that a) i'll look like a divvy, and b) be massively out of my depth :oops:

Having said that, i've ridden a lot of the runs in Chatel on my 5 and survived (just :shock: ) - it can't be much worse, can it??!

Is there an uplift at FOD or a fireroad back up?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • dan sharddan shard Posts: 722
    miss notax wrote:
    Hi Dan :D

How did it compare to the trail centre type stuff you have ridden in the past? I am quite keen to give the Forest of Dean a try, but i'm slightly scared that a) i'll look like a divvy, and b) be massively out of my depth :oops:

Having said that, i've ridden a lot of the runs in Chatel on my 5 and survived (just :shock: ) - it can't be much worse, can it??!

Is there an uplift at FOD or a fireroad back up?

Ola
    Firstly you HAVE to go to the FOD. The new Verderers trail (The XC run thats actually graded as blue but not like any blue Ive ever ridden lol) is possibly the most fun Ive ever had at a trail centre. Nice and short so you can do it a few times, but it has been built brilliantly!! Even if you dont try the DH have a go at that!

To answer the question though, it is quite different to trail centre stuff that I have seen. Even on the flatter sections, the speed that you carry is just incredible. But really dont be put off, all of it is still roll-able other than the odd double but even they are so well built that you'd struggle not to make it over and on to the downslope! The best thing about it is that they are split into descrete sections that are maybe 30 seconds long each, so you can either do the full run in one, or you can just keep sessioning (I hate using that word) one small section until you perfect it.

The confidence that you come out of it with is fantastic though. Some of the big table tops and jumps catapult you into the air even when you're on your reccy run and going slow, but they are so smooth you barely feel yourself leaving the ground & landing!!

Oh and I believe that there is an uplift although I didnt use it, iirc it was £20 for a full day.
  • ThewaylanderThewaylander Posts: 8,767
    And the fire road walk back up to the top is faster than the up-lift so if your fit kinda makes the service a bit redundent :)

but gratz for getting on it, i do a fair bit up FOD its just a nice level of riding, bit of speed sometimes some challenges but nothing to crazy :) can just ride a bit flat out :p
  • 1mancity21mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Im getting the itch also and im gonna try the DH bits at gisburn this weekend, not full on DH but still looks scary!!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2