Omega Pharma Quickstep to ride Specialized? Plus Cav to OPQS

Comments

• LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Hmm maybe more to Wiggo's tweet than meets the eye.

We could yet see Sky riding Specialized.

I hadn't thought of that. There's only 1-year left on the contract with Pinarello. If they want him to ride their bikes that much maybe they would stump up the cash to buy out the contract? Maybe haggling over this is why the Cav to Sky deal is taking so long?

Possibly, but if Sky are prepared to change the WHOLE teams bikes to suit one rider, for the purpose of getting a fat paycheck, well, that doesn't look good on for the rest of the team does it #cavsnewleadoutmonkeys.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I get it.

It's nothing to do with bikes, image money or a nice Sky TV slot for Peta at all.

It's Cav's inner chimp that's the problem.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Tusher wrote:
    It's nothing to do with bikes, image money or a nice Sky TV slot for Peta at all.

For some reason, Cavs contract malarkey has put me in mind of that Snickers ad with the footballer and his girlfriend negotiating a new deal with the club

PLAYER: "I want a boat and a Ferrari . Well actually I want a Ferrari boat."

(The chairman consults his accountant and nods. Agent hands player a dictionary and he starts to read from it)
    "Oh and I want an aardvark and a ballerina.

CHAIRMAN: "Why not have two?"

PLAYER: "And I want to change the name of the team to (stares lovingly at his girlfriend) The Gwendolines."

CHAIRMAN: "Sound's reasonable" (Stares to heaven.)
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • pat1cp wrote:

Essex to Antwerp is no different from Essex to Manchester..

hardly, many places are better than Essex, manchester isnt one of them !
  • This is nothing but salacious speculation :roll: . Of course most people are keen to know what team he'll be riding for next year but to assume he's acting like some sort of prima donna making huge demands is stretching things.

I'm sure he's much more focussed on who will be available to support him and what the team's priorities will be.
  • i just looked up kellogs Krave. Looks lethal for someone of Cav's tendencies. And disgusting. Nutella smeared on a cheerio. They call a portion 30g - who the fuc!< eats just 30 grams of a breakfast cereal? Even that has 135 cals not including milk.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Mad Roadie wrote:
    pat1cp wrote:

Essex to Antwerp is no different from Essex to Manchester..

hardly, many places are better than Essex, manchester isnt one of them !

I was refering more to the commute.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Inner Ring is saying OPQ have recently droppeed a rider so there is a space, no link as I'm on t phone,,,
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Tusher
    I confess I've never heard of Addy Engels, but I'm assuming that he had a contract which Omega are now not honouring.

Employment Tribunal?
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    I was always kind of hoping that Cav wouldn't go to SKY as this leaves Wiggo to be the fulcrum of the team and head for GC. Cav can continue to do his thing elsewhere and hopefully continue where he left off with HTC. It makese sense for Spesh marketing to have the "fastest man on two wheels" in their stable making it easier to market to people who won't or don't get the kudos of GC winners. I am afraid Cav to SKY is just a wee bit too predictable and he is not the conventional type.
  • Tusher
    [quote="Redhog14"I am afraid Cav to SKY is just a wee bit too predictable and he is not the conventional type.[/quote]

Have to say I agree.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    RichN95 wrote:
    I find this latest development very concerning. Kellogg's Krave is the crack cocaine of cereals. You can easily eat a whole box in a day. Next season he'll have the waistline of a hippo.

Then Curiously Cinnamon must be the heroin of the breakfast world. They really are addictive. Even the milk left in the bowl tastes good.

Cav ain't gonna pick a team just because of the bike - they're all the same at that level by the time they get their own specific group sets and finishing kit. I reckon he's likely to move to a team where they will support his ambition, which effectively rules out SKY on the basis their goal is GC of the Tour. I don't see how they could support Cav in his quest for green as well as Wiggins overall. It'd be jack of all trades and master of none.

A previous interview with him said he'd chosen his team already on the basis that they'd offered him a bit of something extra - perhaps a tilt at the Olympics or something. The money really is the same anywhere IMO.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Mouth wrote:

Cav ain't gonna pick a team just because of the bike

That's what I wondered.
    Hypothetically speaking, he signs a 3 year deal with Omega and a year later, Omega have a fall out with Spesh who then refuse to supply the team with their bikes. Does Cav then leave? :?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    (Cheers Tush)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RC856 wrote:
    Mouth wrote:

Cav ain't gonna pick a team just because of the bike

That's what I wondered.
    Hypothetically speaking, he signs a 3 year deal with Omega and a year later, Omega have a fall out with Spesh who then refuse to supply the team with their bikes. Does Cav then leave? :?

Spesh will pay Cavendish a lot of money on a personal contract. And he'll have to use their kit for the contract to be valid.

Contador does this - I think he wears a different helmet to the rest of the team because of a personal deal.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • I think this is all just part of contract negotiations. Cavendish recently signed up to a new management agency and they are most likely trying to drive up the value of his contract by playing teams off against each other. They are signalling to Sky that they will need to pay him more money as recompense for losing the Specialized endorsement, or he will go elsewhere.

Cycling is becoming more and more like football.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I think the idea is that Specialized follow Cav rather than the team - if Sky won't / can't ride Spec, they will get the cheque book out to get him into a team that does. I have to say, it doesn't add up on several levels:
    - Cav seems to be targetting the Olympics, a ride at Sky would seem to be a better ft for that.
    - Omega have been revamping their squad to be more of a GC team.
    - Omega have a full roster (OK, they have made a place available but then what happens to Eisel?).

I reckon Sky on Specialized is more likely, but would prefer to see them stick with Pinarello and Cav just accept that he will have to forego that particular endorsement for 12 months.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Think it'll end up with much fuss over nothing.

Sky will be on spesh next year. Cav joins this year blah blah blah
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    BigMat wrote:

- Cav seems to be targetting the Olympics, a ride at Sky would seem to be a better ft for that.

On this point, I don't think it really matters what trade team Cav is on - with federation funding linked to Olympic success, BC will do all they have to to deliver their man to the top step of the podium in London.
    If, as I suspect, Spesh are waving a couple of million quid worth of personal deal in Cav's face ask yourself - would you forego this?
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    If we want to go in for the whole "conspiracy theory" thing then, as others have pointed out in other threads, there's not just the Spec thing, there's also the Cav on Nike whilst Sky are on Adidas thing. That's not going to be pretty to resolve either.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Can people get over the Nike/Adidas thing already? Adidas supply the clothing (through MOA), they do not supply the team with shoes.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    If we want to go in for the whole "conspiracy theory" thing then, as others have pointed out in other threads, there's not just the Spec thing, there's also the Cav on Nike whilst Sky are on Adidas thing. That's not going to be pretty to resolve either.

They won't be too bothered by that. The shirt/shoes mix happens all the time in football. They don't like it, but they don't seem to cause too much trouble.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Tusher wrote:
    I confess I've never heard of Addy Engels

You may remember Eddy Angles from Phil & Paul's tour commentary - same guy
  • RichN95 wrote:

They won't be too bothered by that. The shirt/shoes mix happens all the time in football. They don't like it, but they don't seem to cause too much trouble.
    Yep - Messi in Adidas boots at Barca (Nike kit) and vice versa with Ronaldo at Madrid being the two most obvious examples.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    All very interesting. How long can he leave it before he makes an announcement? Are other rider's trapped in limbo until Cav makes his decision?

(I'm an Alpen man (no added salt or sugar) but I do like to put a sprinkle of granola on top. the whole ensemble looks like the sweepings froma rabbit hutch. I've never heard of Kelloggs Krave!)
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    great news! id hate to see him on team murdoch
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    I guess its lucky he is not going to go to BMC racing as was the original rumour it would be an uphill struggle to get them to ride Specialized!! :lol:
  • SLX01 wrote:
    I guess its lucky he is not going to go to BMC racing as was the original rumour it would be an uphill struggle to get them to ride Specialized!! :lol:

Forget Garmin-Cervelo....
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Or Lotto-Ridley 8)