Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Sunglasses

woozorwoozor Posts: 117
edited October 2011 in Road buying advice
Im after some sunglasses upto £100

As my normal non sporting sun bins are not upto the job. So im after something for winter but then has changeable lens for when its sunny.

Any Suggestions?

Posts

  • Rudy Project Rydon ImpactX-photochromic
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • unixnerdunixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I bought a pair of these two weeks ago and they're superb. They're pretty deep so shield your eyes from the wind really well. My last pair of Bolle's were quite shallow, these are much better. Can't see the point in spending more.

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bolle-BL10-Cl ... 0781845797
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • ajb72ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    unixnerd wrote:
    I bought a pair of these two weeks ago and they're superb. They're pretty deep so shield your eyes from the wind really well. My last pair of Bolle's were quite shallow, these are much better. Can't see the point in spending more.

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bolle-BL10-Cl ... 0781845797

    How about because they offer no protection from the sun, neither shade for the eyes or protection from UV rays? The OP also mentioned interchangeable lenses too. That and the fact the look like welder's goggles :lol:

    Agree with the shout for the Rudy's. I own Oakley Jawbones and love them, but if I had my time again I'd be tempted to go for the Rydons - the photochromatic lens is very impressive, changing from almost clear to very dark and far better than Oakley's offerings.
  • mouthmouth Posts: 1,195
    ajb72 wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:
    I bought a pair of these two weeks ago and they're superb. They're pretty deep so shield your eyes from the wind really well. My last pair of Bolle's were quite shallow, these are much better. Can't see the point in spending more.

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bolle-BL10-Cl ... 0781845797

    How about because they offer no protection from the sun, neither shade for the eyes or protection from UV rays? The OP also mentioned interchangeable lenses too. That and the fact the look like welder's goggles :lol:

    Agree with the shout for the Rudy's. I own Oakley Jawbones and love them, but if I had my time again I'd be tempted to go for the Rydons - the photochromatic lens is very impressive, changing from almost clear to very dark and far better than Oakley's offerings.

    when i used to be a technician in a school science department, these were indeed the very model we used to use for the kids during experiments, and i can promise you that from the right source they cost nothing like £4.99 a pair. But again, as per the OP's request, what about changeable lenses and UV protection? You might have as well have recommended a butter knife.

    FWIW I just bought some Raleigh ones from Argos for my old man. 3 pairs of lenses, a crappy carry case and a receipt - all for £9.99. Suspect not what you're looking for though
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • andi1363andi1363 Posts: 350
    Got these and are very good for cycling. The top sits nice and close to my forehead so you can cycle without a lid if you want and still see OK. Suitable for general use too.

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bloc-shifter-xr ... wiki.co.uk
  • bompingtonbompington Posts: 7,674
    I've been very happy with these and they definitely cost less than £100 :wink:
  • noodlemannoodleman Posts: 852
    You could do a lot worse than a pair of DHB triple lens pro from wiggle. Look great and have yellow, iridium and slightly smoked lenses.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • bompington wrote:
    I've been very happy with these and they definitely cost less than £100 :wink:

    Hmm i would suggest that 99p sunnies from HK are fairly unlikely to meet EU standards on UV protection. Cancer in the eyes is on the rise, attributed to people not wearing sunglasses at all, or wearing cheap ones that don't protect from the full spectrum of UV light.
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Endura Shark for £30 or about £7 irrc for cycling sunglasses from Lidl. Both certainly up to EU standards of protection. I don't see any practical benefit to spending more than the Enduras cost (which do the trick and look better than most expensive sunglasses I've seen).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • woozorwoozor Posts: 117
    Rudy Project Rydon ImpactX-photochromic

    Thanks all Im gonna order some of these. Graet looking and the lens seems great technology.
  • Keith1983Keith1983 Posts: 575
    I'd recommend these for sunny days! http://www.arco.co.uk/products/3C4300/1 ... +Eyeshield
  • bompingtonbompington Posts: 7,674
    bompington wrote:
    I've been very happy with these and they definitely cost less than £100 :wink:

    Hmm i would suggest that 99p sunnies from HK are fairly unlikely to meet EU standards on UV protection. Cancer in the eyes is on the rise, attributed to people not wearing sunglasses at all, or wearing cheap ones that don't protect from the full spectrum of UV light.
    True, they might be lying outright in the adverts when they say "UV400 protection". Or alternatively it might be a lot cheaper to manufacture lenses than the big brand names would want you to believe.
  • doyler78doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    I'm using BBB impact.
  • bompington wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    I've been very happy with these and they definitely cost less than £100 :wink:

    Hmm i would suggest that 99p sunnies from HK are fairly unlikely to meet EU standards on UV protection. Cancer in the eyes is on the rise, attributed to people not wearing sunglasses at all, or wearing cheap ones that don't protect from the full spectrum of UV light.
    True, they might be lying outright in the adverts when they say "UV400 protection". Or alternatively it might be a lot cheaper to manufacture lenses than the big brand names would want you to believe.

    Both I reckon. It is very cheap to manufacture them. The retail price is simply what the target market will pay = sport/ fashion - plenty of people happy to pay 100 quid or more, but you can get a decent pair of safety glasses, usually made to a higher spec, for around a tenner, and there's loads of decent looking ones around like the Peltors above, or Bolle Contour.[/i]
  • woozorwoozor Posts: 117
    Recieved my rudy project glasses through today, and they look great and fit really well. Will test them properly on a ride a bit later.

    SDC11153.jpg
  • flasherflasher Posts: 1,733
    You wont regret it the Rydon's with the photochromic lenses are brilliant, worn all year round come rain or shine, probably not for the Oakley fashionistas though :wink:
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 10,149
    I see you have already ordered - however this is still a good deal for anyone else who happens upon this thread:

    http://www.eyewearoutlet.co.uk/sunglass ... -628-p6688
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • simon tsimon t Posts: 132
    oakley radars, much better than anything i have tried before!
Sign In or Register to comment.