What's the best idea for a new frame? -Flexy Nanolight?

drkawaszelong
drkawaszelong Posts: 260
edited October 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi all

I have toyed with the idea of getting a frame from china/ebay and now from planet x, (as i'm not too certain about getting it over from china)

Here's the idea, i buy a large nanolight bike with sram force for £1300, and sell parts such as the handlebars, stem, post, chainset, brakes, saddle, tyres cassette and chain. swapping all of my current stuff from the frame i just sold over. this way, i hope to essentially get the frameset with force shifters and mechs for around £1000

after this, i could sell either the ultegra/force and wheels kit (depending which i prefer) for another £300 ish, that means my bike would then cost £700.

hypothetically

or i could buy a frame on ebay from china for £300, customs dependent. (but that's dull and the all look boring).

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    PX have the Nanolight Hi-Mod in their Indian Summer Sale for £500.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DesWeller wrote:
    PX have the Nanolight Hi-Mod in their Indian Summer Sale for £500.

that's size XS only :(
  • I've just bought a chinese carbon frame/fork/seatpost and set it up with Sram Rival for £1160. Details here http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12804505. I don't think it looks dull but then I'm obviously biased... As I'm Bristol based as well I'm more than happy to let you check it out.
    But those PX deals are serioulsy good VFM as well especially http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/YBPXSLPRIV/planet-x-pro-carbon-rival-road-bike...
  • oh awesome, where abouts in bristol are you?

i'm not too keen on the Pro Carbon, as it was my last bike. nothing wrong with them, but lacked the "wow" factor. but that's also something all the chinese ebay frames lack imo, a bit standard.

your bike looks nice though, the flattened out tubes look good :)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW Planet-X Nanolight is made in China by XPA who also make a lot of the frames sold by the likes of Carbonzone and Dengfu, so any comments than infer than one is better than another is frankly nonsense.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • desweller
    Monty Dog wrote:
    FWIW Planet-X Nanolight is made in China by XPA who also make a lot of the frames sold by the likes of Carbonzone and Dengfu, so any comments than infer than one is better than another is frankly nonsense.

You get a warranty that you can act upon with PX that you do not get with the Chinese firms. As a couple of forumites have had frame failures with the Nanolight (at least one of which has been replaced by PX I believe) I think this is an important difference.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • i have a PX frame knocking about i want to get rid of. PM me for details.
  • Been reading reports that the Nanolight is very flexy? anyone have any experience with this?
  • desweller
    Mine seems OK. A bit more compliant in bumps than my old aluminium frame and therefore a little easier to ride for long periods of time, although it doesn't have the mad-as-a-hatter feel that the aluminium one had. Can't say I've had any brake rub instances when hauling up steep hills.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • that's good to know, but it just lacks the (for want of a much better phrase) "x factor" , like my old SL Pro Carbon.

which is why i'm now looking at BMCs, but as there aren't too many horror stories of the Nanolight, i'm considering it, especially with the Force deal.
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    I have the nanolight guru. No noticable difference in flex between that and my giant tcr adv.

Note that the px nanolight "force" only has force shifters/mechs most of the rest of the kit is lower spec.
  • it's alright, i'd take it all apart, sell the chainset cassette and chain, cus i've got Ultegra 6700 chainset, KMC X10sl chain and Dura Ace 7800 cassette, it'd all be compatible with Force levers and mechs right?