Squeky rear wheel

trebor127
trebor127 Posts: 246
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I bought a pair of superstar wheels with the superleggera trizoid rear hub. I have now ridden them 3 times with no problems until today. There is a squeak coming from the rear wheel (possibly from the hub but a bit unsure) and the free wheel also engages even without the chain being on :S See this video that I took..

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u279/trebor127/?action=view&current=20110930_004.mp4

The rear wheel doesn't catch on anything and the sqeak is intermittent.
I took the freewheel off but I am unsure as to how to go about regreasing it etc (if it is even possible wih this hub) so I just put it straight back on so as not to do any damage...Have you any idea what could be the problem? Surely it shouldn't be squeaking after just 3 dry rides?? I have never squirted water near them either. I always use a cloth to wipe round bearings etc. Your help would be much appreciated. I hope to be riding again ASAP :)

Rob

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looks totally normal to me. just use it and set the caliper correctly if you have not done so already.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    looks totally normal to me. just use it and set the caliper correctly if you have not done so already.

I didn't think the freewheel would spin with the chain off
  • any tips for the squeak?? :shock:
  • Take it apart, grease it up, put it back together.
    Sounds like one of the bearings is a bit dry.
  • ftwizard wrote:
    Take it apart, grease it up, put it back together.
    Sounds like one of the bearings is a bit dry.

What do I need to take apart to regrease?? I took the freehub off and couldn't figure out what to grease....
  • That I can't say, as I don't have the hub in front of me. However, it must be the bearings in the freehub, as that appears to be dragging. So if you're are going to check the bearing, those are the ones to have a look at.
    Hopefully, you can deal with them in position, if not, you'll need to drift them out.