New chainset but what to get?

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited October 2011 in Road buying advice
Howdy all.

I've recently upgraded the commuter/winter trainer frame and its highlighted that the rest of the components are a little poor compared to the frame as they were inherited from a 4 year old entry level Boardman. My Sunday bike is running Ultegra and the intention has always been to cascade components down to the commuting bike as I upgrade the Sunday ride. I'm toying with upgrading the Sunday bike to Ultegra Di2 come Spring but I was thinking about upgrading the chainset now while there are some good deals on. The current commuting one is pretty cheap and I'm sure its flexing when I'm hitting hills on it. An example of what I was looking at is the FSA SLK Light on offer at Planet X for £175.

So, 2 questions, would this be a good upgrade for the Sunday bike for someone who likes club rides and the odd sportive? And what else would be a potential upgrade from Ultegra in a similar price bracket?

Alternatively I just pay £150 (plus a new BB) for another Ultegra chainset and stick that on the commuter.

Thoughts?
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Consider you may not get the best di2 shifting with non shimano chainsets.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    New Shimano Di2 com compatable chainset for the good bike and move the old one over to the winter bike?
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    do whatever gets you sorted for the least cost, and dont jump until Campag bring out their Di2 version - 2 things, you may believe Campag is better than Jap - and any competition must surely bring prices down
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Thanks guys.

@Felt So Good: The rest of the groupset is Shimano so if I went to Campag's Di2 equivalent then I'd likely have to change the entire groupset, or close to it.

@Evil Laugh: I've not heard of any issues with non-Shimano chainsets shifting poorly with Shimano dérailleurs, have you seen anything that suggests the DuraAce or Ultegra D1i2's will have issues with any of the other offerings?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.