Eddy Merckx - Frame Size Help

dieselthedemon
dieselthedemon Posts: 9
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Looking to purchase a Eddy Merckx EMX 1 105 2011 Road Bike, but need some advise on frame size that would suit my build. I'm 5'10 and my inside leg is approximately 85cm, currently ride a 2010 Specialized Tricross Sport which is a 56cm frame.

Comments

• solboy
    solboy Posts: 368
    I rode this bike at evans and its a fantastic bike (Campag version). I am 5ft 10 and ride a 56cm Van Nic with 105 and my Allez elite before that was a 56cm. The Eddie Merckx I rode was a 48cm and it fitted me perfectly. Good luck you will enjoy the bike but check out the campag version too its awsome.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Definitely research the frame size before you buy. Merckx have a very different sizing guide to other manufacturers,
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Hi wondering what frame you went for?

I have a trek 1.5 in a 56 cm confused whether to go for a size 48 or 51cm in the Merckx frame

cheers

Olly
  • russello
    russello Posts: 102
    Olly

I've had an emx1 and now have an emx3.

I am just over 6ft, and 34' inside leg. I have a 51 with a 100mm stem. I did try a 48, but due to my saddle height the drop to the bars was massive. If you are 5'10' I would look more towards the 48, but test ride if you can.

Russ
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    RussellO wrote:
    Olly

I've had an emx1 and now have an emx3.

I am just over 6ft, and 34' inside leg. I have a 51 with a 100mm stem. I did try a 48, but due to my saddle height the drop to the bars was massive. If you are 5'10' I would look more towards the 48, but test ride if you can.

Russ
    +1 for this. I'm 6ft 2 with a 33" inside leg, without riding a Merckx I would have gone for the 54 but rented a 51 EMX-1 in Mallorca for a week and it was perfect, had a bike fit recently and it backed up what I thought so I bought an EMX-3 in the same size and it is the right size although I might flip the stem.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Hi thanks guys

Is all very difficult without trying it, I know
    I am currently based in Switzerland, so taking a gamble and buying online from the UK, the prices here in Switzerland are silly!

Evans suggested a 51cm for me, the guy said it is better to have more space to play with rather than go for the smaller 48cm, is all really tricky!

Evans have got a really good sale on at present, so i really wanted to purchase ASAP, before the price goes back up to full price....
  • russello
    russello Posts: 102
    I disagree with the Evans statement, as it is far harder to make a 'too big' bike smaller.... Much easier the other way around.
  • denniskwok
    denniskwok Posts: 339
    Here is the geometry of the Merckx 2010 range for you. :)

EddyMerckx2010sizeChart_zpsadc18c1a.jpg
  • I am 5' 7" with a 30" inside leg and I was fitted with a 48cm EMX3 and that is perfect for me for reach and height. But if you are any bigger go up to the next size.

If they are still around the 2010 versions are great value. I got a Centaur version for cheaper than you can normally get the frame alone.