Compatibility for Rear Mech

MikeM22
MikeM22 Posts: 14
edited September 2011 in Workshop
Hi

Currently I am running Campag compatible components on my drive train (FSA cranks, KMC Chain, Miche 10sp Cassette, Miche Rear Hub and Campag Xenon Rear Mech.

The chain and BB are due for replacement so after my final winter run out on it I plan to do some changes..

Combined with the above, I also want to remove the Square Tapered BB. I have been given an SRAM Rival Compact Chain set (chainrings, cranks and GBX BB). So I was thinking of trying out the SRAM Chain also (PC1071) and finally an SRAM Cassette (PG1070).

Obviously I will have to do something about the rear hub as well as I don't think the SRAM Cassette will be compatible with the current freehub (which leads to another question... would the SRAM PG1070 be compatible with a Shimano Hub?).

My main question is: If I do replace the hub, will the above continue to work with my Campag Xenon Rear Mech and Campay Changers?

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    My main question is: If I do replace the hub, will the above continue to work with my Campag Xenon Rear Mech and Campay Changers?
    No. Not without using one of the various adaptation methods (or bodges depending on how you look at it). The cassette spacing and mech pull ratios are different. Sram and Shimano cassettes are compatible but not with Campag. You are OK with the chainset and BB but stick with Campag cassettes. Any good 10sp chain is fine. I use KMC. No problems and I like the re-usable quick link.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    The guy above posted no...not which is a double negative so the answer is yes. :wink:

Do a google search for Shimergo and look for links to ctt site questions and jtec site.

I've posted a similar response/ question below, I want 11 speed ergo levers to work with shimano. http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12795524 and it seems some combos work with bodges some without.
  • John.T
    Did you not see the full stop and capital letter? :roll: Not a double negative at all. I answered the question correctly which was that it would not work. I then said it could be made to work by various means but that was not what he asked.
  • Thanks guys for the advice. John I will go with what you say... since I have the new SRAM cranks and chainring I will put them on and stick to Campag for the Cassettes as I don't particularly want to add any adapters. So just need to find some Campag cassette bargain over the winter...

Incidentally do Campag (or Campag compatible manufacturer) sell either individual or 'sets' of sprockets allowing you easily alter the gearing to your own spec? I do some events, some fairly flat sportives and others steep hill climbs and would like to alter the top / bottom range accordingly.

Or is it just cheaper / common practice to have a couple of different cassettes that you swap?

Thanks
  • John.T
    The cheaper Campag cassettes are all separate sprockets. The cheapest way to create a custom cassette is often to buy 2 cassettes which have the sizes you want and mix and match. Individual sprockets are hard to find and non Campag ones are rather expensive.