Where can I get a semi-integrated headset with a 41.5mm OD?

garnett
garnett Posts: 196
edited September 2011 in Workshop
Took my 2005 Trek SLR 1400 to the LBS as the steering suddenly went "crunchy".

They said I needed a new headset, but unfortunately they were unable to source what is apparently a slightly rare headset fitted on my bike.

It is a "semi intgrated" headset for my standard 1 1/8" steerer. The outside diameter is 41.5mm.

I'm struggling to source one myself, and I was wondering if anyone could give any advice

Comments

• How about this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BBB-Semi-Integr ... B000VSWJGO

It's a bit ugly, though...
  • garnett
    Thanks UE,

DO you know if I need to worry about whether its following spec match my bike?

Top cup: ø 28.6 mm
    Fork crown: ø 30.0 mm.
    Internal cup: ø 41.4 mm.
    Bearing: ø 39.0 x 6.5 mm x 45°.

Obviously 41.4 is pretty close to 41.5 (Does it have to be exact?) but do I have to ascertain what requirements I need in terms of my bike in relation to cup size and bearing, or are these all standard and/or interchangable?
  • garnett
    saladdays wrote:
    Headsets are a minefield! Do these help?
    Ni idea! But thanks for the info, Saladdays.

I was hoping this was a case of me not know the correct terminology, but it's looking like a more serious problem.
  • Garnett, those sizes you`ve posted there, are they the sizes of the bearings you`ve taken out of the bike, or the sizes of something you`ve seen that might fit?

I`ve got a Pro-LIte Ampezzo semi-integrated headset here I can measure accurately before I fit it to the bike, I think it may be what you need.

Need to know the measurments of:

outer diameter of the frame head tube
    inner diameter of the frame headtube, top and bottom (probably the same) ?
    diameter of the fork steerer tube (assume it`s 1' 1/8" )?

If it`s the correct headset then they are £21.99 from CRC.
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    I'm not exactly sure whether it's what you're looking for but I have a brand new Cane Creek ZS22 semi integrated headset with 41.4mm cups and 25.4mm ID crown race (should fit a 1 1/8 head tube and a 1" fork).
    I've tried to sell it on Ebay a number of times with no luck. Let me know if you're interested. £15 posted and you can send it back if it doesn't fit.
  • garnett
    Thanks a lot for the help guys. Sorry for my confusing posts. I'll have to have a look about measuring my bike but my LBS said:

My bike's steerer is standard 1 1/8".

The headset I need is a "semi integrated" headset with a OD measurement of 41.5mm

The other measurements I posted above were taken from the spec of the headset Undercover Elephant suggested. I have no idea whether I need to worry about whether the addtional measurements quoted for that headset need to fit in with the respective measurements of my bike (I do not have those measurements at the moment). or whether they are more standard/interchangable.

Unfortunately I won't be able to measure my bike until next week now.