Gears and removing rear wheel

mutantllama
mutantllama Posts: 50
edited September 2011 in Road beginners
Recently had my Cannondale Caad8 105 serviced, and when I had it back found that the gear change was very smooth. It was OK until I had to remove my rear wheel (puncture), it then it started playing up a little (the chain rattles for a few seconds before it will change down, sometimes needs two attempts to change up).

This is not the first time it has happened, it seems that removing the rear wheel throws the gears setup out. Is this normal, or should I be able to remove the rear wheel without upsetting the balance?

Comments

• Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Yes, changing a wheel should not affect the gears if done cleanly.

You probably bumped your rear derailleur and put it slightly out of kilter, but this is easily sorted.

Google "gear indexing" to learn how to very quickly sort this out. Park Tools website probably have a good video.

I assume your rear derailleur hanger didnt get bent (unlikely, but worth checking)
  • Take the wheel back out then refit it (or just undo the QR, make sure the wheel is centred), then retighten.
    If the wheel is even slightly out of line it could affect the changing, i've had it before.
  • I usually place the wheel back on making sure its nice and centered in the dropouts, then squeeze the crap out of my brakes as I cinch the QR back up.

As long as your brakes are well centered and not moved during the changing, this should make sure your wheel is back in the same place it was before removal..

Works for me anyhow
    :D
    exercise.png
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Put the wheel in and put the bike on the ground, put weight through the saddle and then tighten the QR, makes sure the wheel is properly seated.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Make sure the rear mech hasn't rotated clockwise, mine almost always does and needs pushing forwards again into position.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Thanks, I will give these suggestions a go, nice to be able to remove the rear for cleaning etc, pain in the @$$ if it means the gears get thrown out....