Cleaning Rusted Allen Key Heads

symo
symo Posts: 1,743
edited October 2011 in Workshop
OK, I like a clean bike, but consistently have the rusty heads of allen keys with rust in them. How do I clean this out, can I buy Ti replacements?

Answers to both questions appreciated. Thanks. :?:
+++++++++++++++++++++
we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.

Comments

• You can buy stainless steel replacements for a lot less :wink:
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Cleaning out - nah, that's a right pain the backside. Stainless are as cheap as chips, so take them out and throw them in next door's garden. Replace with new.

Pro Bolt, The Tuning Works, Demon Tweeks (amongst others) for stainless and Ti, local nut and bolt man for stainless.

As above, stainless is cheaper but Ti is lovely and lighter. But a lot (as in hideously) more expensive. But its so lovely its addictive. Thinge like Ti m/bike axle bolts are seriously sweet in machining terms.

The choice is yours.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Yeah looking at things like seatpost bolts and stem faceplates and bolts etc. Ta
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Just squirt a little WD40 onto a cotton bud, then push the bud into the top of each Allen head, this stops the corrosion...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Screwfix or Toolstation for stainless bolts,washers, etc. I think they even do some for SPD cleats
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.