Sheeeeep!

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited October 2011 in MTB general
Just downloading the vids from todays uplift at Cwmcarn and thought i'd share this one...

Bloody sheep :lol:

http://contour.com/stories/sheeeeep

Comments

• Cows in the alps are way worse. One had its arse end stuck out onto the end of a blind berm and i nearly hit the damn thing. That and the cow bells can be heard from the next valley.
  • kinmofo
    kinmofo Posts: 172
    sheep - i'll just chill here thanks lol. they crazy!
    I'm a Nazi Zombie! And You Cant Kill Me!

Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my Mind the most!

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • I agree with bennett_346, cows are much worse. Quite a few trails we have in my close vicinity have open trails riding through pastures, and the cows, and often the bulls as well start running towards you, adding another danger to your 40mph ride through a cow pasture with sh!t.
  • Thing is, there were about 4 groups of riders and back on the bus each lead rider said they had to avoid the sheep!

It went and sat in the same rut after each group! :lol:

Admittedly, I would have sh@ my pants if it was a cow!
    But, I reckon a bear would be worse haha!
  • I had a close encounter with a few sheep in the Forest of Dean where they tend to roam freely. I also has a very close call with a doe at Cannock last year.. that was frightening

TNM where was your camera mounted? Fork leg? Also, what cam is it?
  • On my helmet (full face) with the goggle mount.

Its a Contour HD... hence being uploaded to the Contour website :lol::wink:

Did 12 runs and got full footage of each, some of them are better than others as its hard to tell where the camera is pointing :(

But it was the 1st time i'd worn goggles too... I changed how the fit in the afternoon whcih seemed to help a lot!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I very nearly splatted a squirrel at the marin a few months ago, almost splatted myself as well trying to avoid it!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • I drove up the mountain last night and there were 3 cows wandering across the road as I cam round the corner - slammed on the brakes, screeched to a halt and they lazily looked up at me and didnt move. I hooted at them, nothing. I ended up having to slalom through the gaps and still they didnt move.

Freaks.

We had reports on closing weekend of cows on Rockstar - one of our jumpy bermy fast rolling runs - that'd do you in clearing a table top to find a cow waiting for you! Mind you there were reports of bears too......
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • kinmofo
    kinmofo Posts: 172
    I had a close encounter with a few sheep in the Forest of Dean where they tend to roam freely. I also has a very close call with a doe at Cannock last year..

does your wife know about this? :lol:
    I'm a Nazi Zombie! And You Cant Kill Me!

Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my Mind the most!

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,497
    kinmofo wrote:
    does your wife know about this? :lol:
    Beat me to it :)

We heard something rustling around in the woods when we stopped for a breather on last nights ride round Bedgebury. This was when my mate mentioned that they have wild boar roaming round the forest, good incentive to keep riding fast :shock:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • , some of them are better than others as its hard to tell where the camera is pointing :(

That's the whole point of the lasers on the Contour's, you can line it up perfectly.

Try grouse during nesting season, once had one try to peck through my tyre, then went for my ankle.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I agree with bennett_346, cows are much worse. Quite a few trails we have in my close vicinity have open trails riding through pastures, and the cows, and often the bulls as well start running towards you, adding another danger to your 40mph ride through a cow pasture with sh!t.
    The trouble with sheep is, they move in ovine clouds. They will be happily munching on grass at one side of the trail, but as soone as ONE FRIGGING sheep decides to cross the trail in front of you, the whole lot decide it must be a great idea, leaving you trying to ride through a woollen tsunami.
  • It's the first time I've seen a sheep on the DH.

Riding the natural route up on the moors a few months back I had to ride through a heard of cows with baby ones and bulls present on my own. That was genuinly one of the scarriest moment of my recent life. I thought if they had gone for me I would have been a smudge on the landscape.

and last friday two riders had their dogs with them running down the DH :shock: that was a first.
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • Stevo_666
    leaving you trying to ride through a woollen tsunami.
    That could be misinterpreted :)

I know what you mean, when I lived in the North East, driving over the North Yorks moors needed a bit of attention as the bloody sheep would just cross the road in a gang, regardless whether they were in imminent danger of becoming mutton pate.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Got to be honest, when I saw the thread title I just assumed it was going to be about the people that ride and pimp Orange 5s.

MBR being the shepherd!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Stevo_666
    Got to be honest, when I saw the thread title I just assumed it was going to be about the people that ride and pimp Orange 5s.

MBR being the shepherd!
    :lol:
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Our local run has sheep on it all the time,

Best I've come across was a stag up Gisburn forest, slammed on and he just stared at me the bloody thing was huge!!

Thankfully he trotted off, also get quite a few people going the wrong way up Gisburn which is really annoying!!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Got to be honest,

Why have you got to be honest?
  • I agree with bennett_346, cows are much worse. Quite a few trails we have in my close vicinity have open trails riding through pastures, and the cows, and often the bulls as well start running towards you, adding another danger to your 40mph ride through a cow pasture with sh!t.
    The trouble with sheep is, they move in ovine clouds. They will be happily munching on grass at one side of the trail, but as soone as ONE FRIGGING sheep decides to cross the trail in front of you, the whole lot decide it must be a great idea, leaving you trying to ride through a woollen tsunami.

Ahh, now I fully understand why in marketing consumers are called sheep. At least they don't chase you though.
  • Anonymous
    They will, if one dumb sheep decides to chase. They're like a hive-mind of stupidity.
  • Oh shit, crazyness.
  • Anonymous
    They're even stupid enough to run across motorways. A mate of mine had a lucky escape when he rode his motorbike straight through a sheep. As he tried to pull over to check the damage, a whole herd of sheep decided that their mate being cut in half and spread all over the road and motorbike looked like a GREAT idea, so they all ran across too.
  • this is what i love about MTB riding, you see so many things when you go out and makes the ride 100x more fun than road rides i find.

i have seen a baby deer grow up with its mum to be a big arse deer with horns who now im scared of rather than the other way around :wink:

love wood rides
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Razor1548 wrote:
    Got to be honest,

Why have you got to be honest?

'Cos I woz brung up proper.

Oh, a Five rider earlier -

cvetnaja_ovca.jpg
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    More Contour skillz: http://youtu.be/wZP3rG1N7Fc
    No sheep, but I couldn't find the 'share your videos' thread. :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    One thing I've learned from doing the south downs is that sheep and cows will never let you pass them if they are close to a fence, they will always make a break for the "open" field at the last moment, even if there is 20m between them and the fence.

Bobble hats are worse than both, they will never let you pass.
  • Mountain Bike: 1
    Sheep: 0

dscf0050h.jpg

Forest of Dean...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Looks like Sheepsteeth's browsing history.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    From the BDS at Moelfre this year

p4pb6433514.jpg
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5