Campag Query

ned_wills
ned_wills Posts: 91
edited September 2011 in Workshop
Hi Folks
Does the Campag Chorus 11 speed 12/29 cassette work OK with the Chorus 11 speed short cage rear mech. I could do with the 12/29 for help up hills (i'm very old) but don't want to go to the expence of a medium cage rear mech.

I use a 11/28 on a Shimano 10 speed set up with a short cage mech, which works fine.

Is campag as accommodating.

cheers

Ned

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    It depends on the chainset too. A rear derailleur's capacity is the difference of the largest and smallest rear sprockets added to the difference of the two chainrings.

A Campag small cage has a capacity of 27. Your 12/29 equates to 17. That means your front chainrings can only officially differ by 10.

However, you can usually get away with adding 1 or 2 more.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I have a 13-29 10 speed cassette which works easily on my compact setup with a couple of links longer chain. That's actually 32 different!

Campag don't do medium cage derailleurs for the 11 speed irrc so I think you should be safe to assume it will work.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Campag don't make a 12/29 casette in chorus only Super record
  • i ran a 27tooth cassette with a campag short cage and there appeared to be room for a bigger cassette.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    Yes, that set up works just fine. I run exactly that Campag Chorus combination with no problems at all.
  • Thanks for the replys guys.

I want to use the 12/29 cassette with a 53/39 chainset I already have, will I need a longer chain?

Eyorerox.
    12/29 chorus may not be available in New Zealand but I can get one from several sources in the UK from £84 to £99.

best regards

Ned
  • Ned please post link
    according to Campagnolo website only available in SR
  • Hi Eyorerox
    Try http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ or ebay shops "Onix online shop", "High on Bikes online shop", "Fast Parts for Bikes online shop" and "Nonstop Ciclismo.com USA".
    I belive other UK suppliers (Parker-international, Chain Reaction cycles etc also have 12/29 11 speed Chorus cassettes in stock.

Hope this helps

regards

Ned
  • I wouldn't touch fast parts for bikes with a bargepole.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Thanks Ned
    looked before but not seen it