Used Cube LTD Race - Is This A Good Deal?

EViS
EViS Posts: 48
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
I am looking at purchasing a used 2 year old Cube LTD Race for just over £500. The spec is below as a couple of items have been changed by the seller from original purchase. Is this a good deal for the money?
Frame: 20" Alu Superlite AMF 7005 double butted
Fork: Rockshox Reba 100mm SL
Brakes: Formula ORO K18
Disc rotors: Superstar stainless steel 160R/180F
Wheels: Mavic Crossride Disc
Skewers: Sunringle red anodized
Tyres: Schwable Rocket Ron 2.25
Cranks: Shimano SLX
Front Derailleur: Shimano SLX
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT
Shifters: Shimano SLX
Chain: Sram PC951
Cassette: Shimano HG50
Bars: Easton EA30
Stem: Raceface Ride
Seatpost: Raceface Ride
Saddle: Madison Flux
Seat clamp: KCNC red anodized
Grips: Superstar lock on
Pedals: Shimano M525 clipless

I am a tad out of touch with bikes these days, having 'made-do' with my 10 year old Rockhopper until now, hence the question and any advice would be very much appreciated :).

EDIT: Condition of each component is quoted in reply #16 further down the page.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That is a question no one can answer.
    Partly because value depends on condition, and partly because it's against the rules to ask it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • EViS
    The condition is very good and has been well maintained. I didn't realise it is against the rules, I do apologise! Why is it against the rules out of interest?
  • cooldad
    Don't know, I think they were chiseled in stone millions of years ago. They just are.
    Rule15
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12539862
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thats a tad unfair rules huh!

Cubes offer a very good spec for the money generally, i have a 2011 ltd race and cost me £1100, im chuffed to bits with it, light, nimble and very xc based.

Suits my style of riding and the trails close to me.

If you are happy with condition and the style of mtb suits your riding then i see no reason to dismiss the ltd race.
    MY CUBE
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12785430

Cube ltd race 2011.....enjoying the grt outdoors no matter the weather (except snow I just can't move in the snow)!
  • Wtf
    So someone looking for advice, posts the spec, and they can't even ask if it's worth it?

What if I post the spec of a new canyon and ask if it's vfm vs a lapairre of the same spec?
    There's millions of post re is it worth it.

It not like he's posted the link or shown who the original poster is etc.

Love forum politics
  • Btw spec wise it seems worth it.
    Link :lol:
  • cooldad
    Difference is, I think, that comparing prices, spec etc on new bikes is one thing, valuing a second hand bike on a list of spec is impossible.
    And forum politics has nothing to do with it. It's the rules and mods often delete or lock threads if people ask for valuations.
    Most people have never read the rules (including myself until I saw people getting ticked off) so it was simply a heads up to a relatively new member.
    You will notice I was not rude or nasty about it and the OP does not appear to be offended.
    What he chooses to do with it is none of my business.
    Simply my opinion.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • werent having a dig at you mate, just saying this forum is bollox if he cant ask about a good price for a used bike.

Why have a buying advice section?
  • werent having a dig at you mate, just saying this forum is bollox if he cant ask about a good price for a used bike.

• WILL 1 AM wrote:
    werent having a dig at you mate, just saying this forum is bollox if he cant ask about a good price for a used bike.

Causes un-necessary arguments.

1 person says it is worth x amount, another y amount.

It leaves the OP non the wiser as we have no way to gauge the condition of components. To value a bike from spec and age would be very naive.

Best idea is to find similar bikes in the classified and Ebay and go from there.
  • Also the forum would probably be inundated with wronguns trying to get prices for bikes they've half-inched, innit?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    Bottom line is the site belongs to Future Publishing, they make the rules and annoying mods (you know who you are) enforce them with huge bansticks.
    If we want to play here we abide by the rules most of the time.
    The alternatives (STW) are too ghastly to contemplate.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Rules are made to be broken now and again.
  • cooldad
    Rules are made to be broken now and again.

cooldad wrote:
    Bottom line is the site belongs to Future Publishing, they make the rules and annoying mods (you know who you are) enforce them with huge bansticks.
    If we want to play here we abide by the rules most of the time.The alternatives (STW) are too ghastly to contemplate.

Yup.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    STW is no worse than here. They just have a higher class of pedant.
  • EViS
    Oh dear! This must be the reason for the rule, to prevent any arguing over the rule :?.

It does seem a tad daft in this specific section of the forum. If there are any mod's around who could highlight the real reason behind it, I think many here would appreciate it :).

Until then, if anyone does fancy offering some advice as to the used price, that would be great! The seller has given me the following condition statement of each component:
    Frame: Alu Superlite AMF 7005 double butted - In good condition apart from a bit of paint rub, a slight dent and some chips on the downtube which are very minor and purely cosmetic. There is very little cable rub or chain slap marks, as I've applied frame protectors.
    Fork: Rockshox Reba 100mm SL (converted this to manual lock out but still have remote which I'll include - procedure in swapping is very simple) - Excellent condition, couple of marks on the lowers, no marks on stanchions, still running smooth as when I first got the bike.
    Brakes: Formula ORO K18 - Pads still 80% life left in. Bled about 6 months ago. Very good.
    Disc rotors: Superstar stainless steel 160R/180F - Only been on a month. 0% wear.
    Wheels: Mavic Crossride Disc - Very good condition. Bearings replaced recently with Hopes.
    Skewers: Sunringle red anodized - Few cosmetic marks, very good condition.
    Tyres: Schwable Rocket Ron 2.25 - Been on about 4 months. Front 95% tread, Rear 90% tread.
    Cranks: Shimano SLX - Very good condition. No play. Few cosmetic marks and chips as shown on photographs.
    Front Derailleur: Shimano SLX - Excellent condition, gear cables replaced 4 months ago.
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT - Excellent condition, gear cable replaced 4 months ago.
    Shifters: Shimano SLX - Very good condition
    Chain: Sram PC951 - 0% wear. Replaced 3 weeks ago
    Cassette: Shimano HG50 - 0% wear. Replaced 3 weeks ago
    Bars: Easton EA30 - Very good condition
    Stem: Raceface Ride - Excellent condition
    Seatpost: Raceface Ride - Few marks and anodize rub. Good condition.
    Saddle: Madison Flux - Basically brand new.
    Seat clamp: KCNC red anodized - Good condition, few marks from use.
    Grips: Superstar lock on - Good condition, little bit of wear
    Pedals: Shimano M525 clipless (can change these for flats if required) -Few cosmetic marks but still work perfectly.
    Bottom bracket: Shimano XT - This was replaced about 9 months ago. No play what-so-ever.
    Headset - FSA semi integrated - Replaced around the same time as BB. Again no play at all.
  • cooldad
    I think our large simian friend has already pointed out the reason.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • in my opinion this circumvents rule 15 as he already has a price in mind and he's just asking is it worth it.
    simple yes or no suffices. :wink:
    2011 Rockhopper Comp
    24/Seven Deviant.
    Orange Diva (for the bint)
  • cooldad
    In that case I would give it a definite maybe.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    One man's 'slight dent' is another's trashed frame.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Hiya Evis. It seems like a small world! I ride a Cube Ltd Race as it happens, think it's possibly a year younger though, I bought it last year. Saying that, I bought it in end of season sales so possibly not. I paid about £880 new for it if that's any help without breaking rules! (Oh and when I bought it, the eBay price seemed to be about £500 for the previous year's model)