Feel to over stretched

joepineapples
joepineapples Posts: 39
edited September 2011 in MTB general
Hi all

I got a large specialized camber comp. It comes with a 105 mm stem on it and I feel that I am to stretched out on it my arm are always locked out and when I do bend them I find I have to much weight over the front. I cannot get a lot of weight over the back wheel.

Im the right height for the frame size I think I just have short arms.

My problem is with the price of stems what length should I get? I dont want to spend what ever and find out that is too short or long and have to buy another?

Cheers Gav

Comments

• JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    50mm
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Either look on ebay and buy a selection of cheap ones if you can find them or maybe have a look at these:

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=48&p=609&

Pretty cheap and, in my opinion, good quality stem. Although I seem to remember they were much cheaper when I bought mine.

You can always buy a more expensive on once you get the size you want right.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Gav 50mm is to short for you, your also looks like it has a 10% rise, so go with a 70mm 10% rise unless you want a lower front end then go 0%, I noticed on Sunday your seat could move back a little if needed so with a 70mm your not going to short, look on www.superstartcomponents.co.uk.

Once you get the stem you should also be able to pop the front wheel up easier.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    THIS will hel if you're considering changing your stem.
  • If you've only just bought the bike try speaking nicely to them to see if they can sort out the stem for you. Somewhere around 80mm should be about right depending on rise.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • how tall are you ive just bought a spech camber medium i tryed the large and found it the same im 5' 11" and the medium is much better for me
    falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
    FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
    HT Merlin Malt one (sold)
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    try moving your seat forward before you change your stem

changing the stem can have a massive impact on how the bike handles. Move the stem too far back and you will unweight the front wheel too much.

speaking from experience, i put a 70mm stem on my FSR, believing the dogma about short stem/long bars being "better", but whilst the steering was faster, the bike handled badly in corners cause i had shifted the weight distribution too much

personally i would look at the length of stem on the next size down, which i think would be 90mm ?

buy a cheap Spesh stem off eBay (£10 at most) to test and once you are decided on length, then buy something decent
  • kinmofo
    kinmofo Posts: 172
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Gav 50mm is to short for you, your also looks like it has a 10% rise, so go with a 70mm 10% rise unless you want a lower front end then go 0%, I noticed on Sunday your seat could move back a little if needed so with a 70mm your not going to short, look on www.superstartcomponents.co.uk.

Once you get the stem you should also be able to pop the front wheel up easier.

yo ali, what MM u recon mine is? lol. u seen how short mine is lol. (no pun intended) :lol:
    I'm a Nazi Zombie! And You Cant Kill Me!

Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my Mind the most!

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • how tall are you ive just bought a spech camber medium i tryed the large and found it the same im 5' 11" and the medium is much better for me

Im 6 foot.
  • i have no idea how long yours is Matt I think I will try a 70 mm and see how I get on
  • kinmofo
    how do i measure? from where to where?

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • it will be written on the stem somewhere, maybe underneath the bar clamp.
  • Centre to centre
    Nicolai CC
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    kinmofo wrote:

Centre of bars to centre of steerer, think yours is a direct mount or 50mm can't remember it, but its short!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • kinmofo
    1mancity2 wrote:
    kinmofo wrote:

Centre of bars to centre of steerer, think yours is a direct mount or 50mm can't remember it, but its short!

it is short! lol maybe i should swap with gav? :P i think u may be right with 50mm lol

dont get mad, get KROSS