Campagnolo

geobuchan
geobuchan Posts: 20
edited September 2011 in Workshop
Hello,

Im Looking at buying a second hand pair of Campagnolo Centaur shiflers, Will these work with Veloce? New to the world of Campag! :?

Comments

• PieterM
    PieterM Posts: 167
    Yes, they are compatible.
    European Cycling Trips: http://bikeplustours.com
  • fred22
    fred22 Posts: 509
    hijacking this with apologies to the op, does that mean that the 'ultrashift' is all within the levers, not the mechs?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Ultrashift is the current designation of Campagnolo Ergo levers, also known as Mark 3. FWIW mechs are purely a 'slave' as it is the shifter that controls the movement.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    All the mk3 ergos are ultra shift 'shape'. When talking about ultra shift vs power shift mechanisms, the differences are all in the ergos.

With 2011 on, only super record, record and chorus are ultra shift. The others are power shift.

If you're after ultra shift centaur ergos, you'll need to find old 2010 models. The difference between centaur and veloce 2010 levers is that the centaur ones have carbon fibre over alloy levers.

One thing to bear in mind. Supposedly, QS front mechs will not work with ultra shift, only powershift - though that may be 2011, as cable pull on 10 speed changed this year.
  • fred22
    fred22 Posts: 509
    thank you
  • Sorry for hijacking your thread, but what is the campag hierachy? I know the xenon kit I have is their budget kit, but I'd like to upgrade the shifters as I'm not happy with them and they don't look great either!
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Hi,

It goes:

Xenon (no longer made)
    Mirage (no longer made)
    Veloce
    Centaur
    Athena
    Chorus
    Record
    Super Record.

Athena onwards is 11 speed.

I assume you've got 10 speed Xenon? Is it the QS version?
  • Nope I've got 9 speed Xenon, I know, I know, must be antique by now! So what you're saying is that I could upgrade the levers to Centaur and they should work with the rest of my Xenon Kit?
  • Why are all the Campag top groupsets 11 speed and the competition 10 speed? Is there a benefit?

Surely 11 speed is heavier, and the ratio's cant be that far apart, can they?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • Markwb79 wrote:
    Why are all the Campag top groupsets 11 speed and the competition 10 speed? Is there a benefit?

Cos Campagnolo is just.... the best! :D

Seriously though - same reason why 10 beats 9, beats 8, beats 7 etc. etc

Diminishing returns maybe but returns all the same
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Markwb79 wrote:
    Why are all the Campag top groupsets 11 speed and the competition 10 speed? Is there a benefit?

Have you never seen Spinal Tap? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.