Upgrading front Rotor, need some help please

Babyhead_wipeout
Babyhead_wipeout Posts: 47
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,
I am looking to upgrade to a 180mm Rotor on my front brake.
I am using Tektro Auriga Comps, my forks are SR Suntour XCR LO (100mm)
I need to know which adaptor to buy, I will be buying from Superstar 8)

Whilst searching, I noticed some very nice, shiney, floating rotors....what do these do and would I benefit from them? I mainly ride XC.

Thanks.
Boardman Comp 2011 Hardtail

Comments

• On the Superstar website in the Brake Adapters section is an information page to allow you to decide which adapters you need for your fork/frame type.

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/What ... 20need.pdf
    2011 Cannondale Trail SL 29er HERE
  • Superstar Components explains what adapter you need to order

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=359

you need to what caliper and fork combo you have post mount or IS
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Floating rotors - no, waste of time and can create problems.
    Otherwise depends what mounts your forks have, post or ISO.
    Callipers are probably post, but might not be.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    floating rotors give little benefit, they can be a bit lighter, and they have a theoretical advantage for long hard braking where the disc gets seriously hot, but not really worth the money for most people.

You need a new adapter for the calliper, most XCR are IS mount (holes pararllel to wheel axle) so you need to replace that with one sized for a 180mm front.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thankyou all for your help, I will check tonight and get an adaptor and rotor ordered!
    Boardman Comp 2011 Hardtail
  • tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    cooldad wrote:
    Floating rotors - no, waste of time and can create problems.

I'm a big fan of the hope floaters. They seem to stay true better than standard ones and If they do go out of line they seem to come true again by ridding around the drive with the brakes on for a bit. That's just my experience and I do know people that can't get on with them.
  • I dont want to be a wet blanket (but going to anyway lol) check that the bigger rotor is compatible with the fork and wont void any warranty, I only say this because I was going to upgrade the rotor on my RS Dart2 Forks but I checked and the max rotor size was 160 so just check that all ok or if your not bothered then just buy anway!
    Cheers