Headset clicks under load

DrKJM
DrKJM Posts: 271
edited September 2011 in Workshop
I wonder if anyone could advise. I'm newish to road riding and bought a Ribble winter bike second hand back in the spring. Having ridden a fair few miles I decided I wanted to lower the handlebars a little. I took a 5mm spacer from below the stem and replaced it above and tightened things up again, following instructions in a book by Leonard Zinn. I now have a mild clunk as things return to normal after heavy braking that I hadn't noticed before. The Zinn book says headset bolts should be 'snug'. I have tightened things so that there was some resistance to the last 1/4 or 1/2 turn using a standard length hex key on a multitool. Could that be too loose? Too tight? The headset is a Cane Creek and the manufacturer's advice boils down to 'just tight enough'!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Sounds like you don't have enough bearing preload.

1. Slacken off the stem pinch bolts (steerer end)
    2. Tighten the top cap screw 1/4 turn at a time until no play can be felt in the headset. Test the play by applying the front brake hard and pushing the bike forward and back. You'll be able to feel movement in the headset as a clunking sensation in the handlebars.
    3. Verify that the bars are straight and tighten the stem pinch bolts.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    Thanks. I was nervous of overtightening but will have another go tonight.