Mavic Wheelsets

richardcurtis
richardcurtis Posts: 5
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
I am looking at getting a new set of wheels for my hard tail, mainly for competitive XC Triathlons / Duathlons.
I have looked at the Mavic Crosstrail (£400) but have noticed the Crossmax SLR's 2011 have come down in price, now at £580.
Are the 2011 Crossmax SLR's worth the extra £180 over the Crosstrail, to save 165g??
thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I don't think either represent particularly good value for money if lightweight is key. Handbuilt sets can come out cheaper and lighter ie DT/American Classic/A2Z hubs with Crest rims and DTRev spokes. Or for a ready built set:

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/34038/Ame ... n=pid34038
  • thanks for the reply supersonic.
    I'm having one of those typical weight vs function debates.
    I think i should be looking at true XC wheels, which are driven by weight, but then there are some good enduro and trail wheels out there, which i am not 100% sure on what difference these will bring to me and the function i need them for!
    So shaving weight off, is always a starter!
    Do you have any experience in XC Triathlons and wheel types?
  • supersonic
    Plenty of experience of many wheelsets;-)

The Enduro and trail/am wheels do tend to be tougher - wider rims maybe, and more heavy duty parts. If you want durabilty then go for a tougher set, but that said., some of the lighter ones can take some punishment, I was impressed with the American Classic sets when recently testing. Also as they have a full complement of spokes they are durable, and less flexy than some.
  • thanks again!
    as i said, it's mainly for XC Triathlons, so the courses shouldn't be to punishing to the wheels, so i guess weight and speed are king, although i do like throwing the bike around the trials at the weekend for 'training' !!

Mavic's reputation and Julien Absalon made me start at the Mavic sets (fickle i know!!) , but having read up on the American Classic MTB 26 Tubeless 'supersonic' recommended, these seem like a good set of wheels and lighter than the Mavic SLR, for a lot less money.

So i am giving up stiffness with the American Classics over the SLR's, as they are cheaper, or are the SLR's overpriced?

:?
  • supersonic
    SLRs are overpriced - are better value on full, off the peg builds. I'd say they were flexier than the American Classics too.
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    i use mavid crossride, crossmax sx and sl. rad wheels