Shimano M647 DX pedals

divingmoose
divingmoose Posts: 540
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
Anyone got any of the above pedals and if so what do you think? I am looking at starting out with spd's and these look at good starting pedal. Any adive would be great thanks.

Lee

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ADL
    ADL Posts: 138
    I am looking at starting out with spd's and these look at good starting pedal.
    True.
  • haven't got any yet but they're next on the list

Been using the M324's which are useless, dangerous & painful when used for more aggressive riding - avoid them at all costs
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Good pedal, I had mine on all last summer but back on flats now, just sold mine on flebay!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I have had a set for the last 3 years and they have just died. I replaced them with the M530 which I prefer. They are lighter and feel the same under your foot. Here is a link to the M530:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... edal-45093

I got mine for £25 delivered so are lots cheaper than the M647
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    Had mine for over two years- really like them and had no probs. Would like to try the 530 but can recommend the 647s
  • hmm, didn't consider the 530's but two recs and just read a couple of reviews - they sound good and half the price of the 647's. Worth considering

Trek Session 8
  • Had two sets on both bikes for years with no problem. Very easy to clip in and better mud clearance than older Spd designs. I moved to flats in Jan and sold both sets. Very good pedals but the new style flats and five10 shoes changed my riding forever. It's like being clipped in but with the ability to eject much easier in a crash
  • Thanks guys like the look of the M530's but what shoes are you guys using?
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    Specialized tahoe- really comfortable, easy to walk in but sole stiff, don't overheat in summer, fine in winter especially if used with sealskinz socks. Not sure why anyone would buy something more expensive to be honest
  • KulaBen wrote:
    Specialized tahoe- really comfortable, easy to walk in but sole stiff, don't overheat in summer, fine in winter especially if used with sealskinz socks. Not sure why anyone would buy something more expensive to be honest

Depends on what you ride. I had a pair of Tahoe's and they're not great for off road on flat pedals. Great with spd's or for commuting but the first time I tried anything technical with them (on dmr v8's) both feet slipped off and I cracked two ribs

BUT for commuting or clipped in I agree they are very good
  • CharlieH wrote:
    KulaBen wrote:

Depends on what you ride. I had a pair of Tahoe's and they're not great for off road on flat pedals. Great with spd's or for commuting but the first time I tried anything technical with them (on dmr v8's) both feet slipped off and I cracked two ribs

..The OP is talking about using them with SPD's. (that's whole point of the thread - advice on SPD's)

Anyway - Spesh Tahoe's are a good (SPD) MTB shoe. Nothing wrong with them

Trek Session 8
  • CharlieH wrote:
    KulaBen wrote:

..The OP is talking about using them with SPD's. (that's whole point of the thread - advice on SPD's)

Anyway - Spesh Tahoe's are a good (SPD) MTB shoe. Nothing wrong with them

I know that, that's why I said in the last line that for spd/commuting they are good!

I just mentioned the off road/flats comment in case anyone else was thinking about them for off road use too :)
  • I have been using the Dx' for a few weeks now. i got them as I needed a new set of spds and thought that they would also be ok for jumping on the bike when popping to a mates or whatever. Without the need to change shoes.
    As spds go they are quite nice and just as easy to use (once you have got the hang of spds) as my old spds. 1st thing I did was slacken off the release tension. That could be important to do if your trying spds for the 1st time. I have had a couple of times when its been nice to be unclipped and be able to dab. I also tightened the tension back up, but then again i have alot of years riding clipped in under my belt.

I looked at the 530s but decided that for a couple more pounds i would go with the DXs. probably not really worth it for my riding, but hey ho.

I have ridden them in a pair of Scott ?? shoes and Lake MX boots, both work fine with them. i have also used them with normal shoes/trainers, the clips can be felt through the soles and gives a wierd rocking feeling, but its ok for 10-15mins. Wouldnt want to try any proper mtbing with normal flat shoes, but unclipping for a bit more confidence on the rough they should be perfectly ok.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • I have the M647 and swop them out with some M770 XT's, depending on where i'm riding.
    The 647 are a good pedal and have never let me down, so a good place for you to start out.
    I wear Specialized BG Comp which are a great mtb shoe, with good grip when you need to get off.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec026153
  • ADL
    ADL Posts: 138
    Thanks guys like the look of the M530's but what shoes are you guys using?
    Shimano mp66
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    What you need to decide is whether 647s will make you feel more confident when you're pedalling while not clipped in, which is after all, what they're designed for. Otherwise, just get cheapo 520s which are OK.

The thing that often scares first timers off spds is the 'being clipped in' feeling and the worry of toppling over. This is just a small hurdle that is soon overcome. 647s won't necessary help ease that worry. In my opinion, they just give an extra pedalling option when things get rough. But once you're clipped in, they're exactly the same as normal spds.

I just fitted some DX 647s at the weekend, to replace some XTR spds that are now on the 'cross bike. I chose them for reasons I've just mentioned, you can sort of pedal while not clipped in, which gives more confidence on really rough ground and steep descents.

My thoughts echo fletch8928, i.e. the spring is set quite high, but then I might have had the spring lowish on my XTRs? You can adjust the spring tension on 647s, which I will do.

I've ridden the 647s with my Shimano M110 shoes and Diadora Artic boots. Both have an XC type sole which will work fine, despite the 647s not being an XC pedal. I find that the pedal is slightly easier to align as there is more body in contact with the shoe. The actual 'clicking in' of the SPD feels exactly the same [as normal spds], in terms of cleat engagement and how the springs snap shut on the cleat.

After first fitting the 647s, I did try just stamping down on them without thinking about clipping in - which is after all what they're designed for, i.e. no more looking down and hesitating before stomping down on the pedals. It does improve things, although if your cleat lands on top of the spring mechanism, it will feel exactly the same as a normal spd. The difference is that the cleat can then roll off the spring jaws, and you've still got a solid platform to stand on. But it doesn't quite feel natural yet. Time will tell. I'm looking forward to really muddy messy rides where clipping in isn't an option, and hopefully I'll just keep stomping down on the pedals without worrying about it.