Wheel building 3 leading 3 trailing rear?

gtd.
gtd. Posts: 626
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Is it ok to use a 3 leading 3 trailing pattern for a rear wheel?

2cxx1mf.jpg

I was bored this morning and had a wheel I bought thinking it was a 26" but its a 24" but it is a 36 hole rim/hub and was 3x pattern so decided to have a go at changing it to a 3 leading 3 trailing pattern just to see if I could do it. Need to get a spoke key as I can't tension the trailing spokes enough with a screw driver.

Planning on getting a 36h rear hub and new spokes and rebuilding it as a rear for my Dr Jekyll as it can be fitted with 24" rear wheel drop outs and build a matching 26" front wheel.

Can a 3 leading 3 trailing be used on a rear wheel, it just used for light stuff commuting and popping to shops etc.
Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is not a pattern I am familiar with - do any spokes actually cross and touch?
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    The spokes don't cross, being on a 24" rim it would put big bends in the spokes. I did attempt to cross them but it didn't look like I could cross them properly.

I've just rebuilt the wheel using a 36h 135mm Hope XC rear hub using the existing spokes amazingly they seem to be the right length. I didn't use a dishing stick and also didn't have a truing stand. I used my Dr Jekyll frame as a truing stand and being a 24" wheel when I fitted the tyre it only just clears the chain stays. Trued the wheel then fitted it to my Patriot and rode it round the block to bed the spokes in then re-tensioned the spokes and it seems fine. The rim runs central and true. I'm quite happy with it if only the XC was as loud as my Pro 2 on my 26" MTX camos.

Ordered the 24" Identiti ADS dropouts for my Dr Jekyll. Now I'm after a 26" 36h MTX Camo rim and a silver Hope front hub and order the correct spokes and build a matching front wheel

Now I want to rebuild my other wheels as who ever built them put the valve hole in the wrong place. The spokes cross where the valve is making it hard to fit a pump, also the hub label isn't visible through the valve hole in the rim.

The wheel I've just built is the only one I have where the hub label is visible through the valve hole.
    If the hub has a label running along the barrel, it should be located so that it can be read through the valve hole. These things will not affect the performance of the wheel, but good wheelbuilders pay attention to these things as a matter of pride and esthetics.
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • rode it round the block to bed the spokes

if you do the 'tape-on-spoke' trick you can stop the spokes from winding-up - and you avoid the need to do this 'bedding in' (and re-true afterware)