Fork questions re GT Avalanche 2011

OwenB
OwenB Posts: 606
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi, after seeing the cracking deal Wiggle have on GT Avalanche 1.0's at the moment I decided to get myself one, but have a few concerns about the coil fork in that I'm a weighty bloke at 19 stone.
I'm aware that I can get an uprated spring for the Tora but would an air fork be better than just replacing the coil? In honesty I've not been off road on it yet so it might be ok, just like to have all the answers early on.

Also does anyone have an idea as to what the maximum travel fork can be fitted to avoid warranty issues?

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Depends on how much you want to spend on a fork but air forks don't require upgrades you just add more air to achieve the correct sag etc.

Regarding travel it depends on the crown to axle height of the fork, but generally another 20mm won't affect your warranty but check with your frame supplier first.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • OwenB
    Thanks, I've emailed GT to see what they say but the Avalanche Expert comes with a 140mm Sektor so I expect that the frame can take that much.

I don't really have the funds to splash out on a new fork, but would a stiffer spring make much difference over the standard spring fitted?
  • OwenB

Did you end up getting your 1.0?

I was thinking of buying it until I saw the specs, the specs posted on wiggles site seem lower than the ones posted on others?

Front derailler + chainset.

I wasn't aware the GT 1.0 Disc came in different specs?
  • OwenB
    Yeah I've had it just over a week, the specs do seem different but Wiggle have a 120mm fork fitted instead of the 100mm one specced elsewhere on the net.

I'm happy with it, but definitely need to upgrade the fork spring, TF Tuned have them in stock at £21.99 so I'll be fitting one of those when payday comes round again.