XTR and 10 speed

daveb
daveb Posts: 4,137
edited October 2011 in MTB general
I am considering going from 9 speed to 10 speed and quite fancy the double XTR cranks M985.

Anyone running this, what you think? I would run it with XTR rear mech, XTR or SRAM 1091 chain and XT cassette.

One concern is the cost of chainrings ongoing, does anyone know if Middleburn etc are making chainrings for this chainset?

The other option is to stick with 9 speed and just buy the M970 cranks (would run it until the outer wore out then put a bash on and run a double setup.), would save buying all the other kit and I know chainrings are available at a more reasonable price for these.

Another thing is 10 speed setups - is there a noticeable difference over 9 speed?

thanks
Daveb

Comments

• I don't see the point in upgrading to a 10sp from a 9sp as you only really gain an extra gear on the low end

I go up some pretty steep stuff but have never needed a lower gear than 22/34 - I don't think a 22/36 gear would be of any use to me

With a double ring setup I guess you gain a 36/36 gear but if you want an easier gear than 36/34 you just use your smaller front ring (22) - or am I missing something?

I am going from a 3x9 to a 2x9 w/ bash because;

1/ I hardly ever use my 44 ring

2/ I dig the whole "small ring to climb, big ring to come down" idea

3/ use of the full rear cassette no matter what ring I'm using up front

4/ sick of getting my right calf punctured, scraped and generally abused

didn't really answer any of your questions! - sorry just my 2 pennies worth :)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Destroy your current 9spd set up this winter then try and find a good deal on a groupset in t spring
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • As a note: A mate has recently switched from 9spd to 10spd and has since snapped two chains which he's never done before. He put it down to the narrower chain required with 10spd. Its just another thing to worry about and he said he wish he hadnt bothered switching. Always keep SRAM powerlinks to hand.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Felix rather misses the point; the wider range cassette allows you to use different rings without losing any gears, rather than adding a smaller one with your existing rings.

I'd not change a perfectly good 9 speed setup, the difference isn't life changing (been on 10 speed for 2 years FWIW).

There are a few companies doing 88mm rings for M985 cranks, I don't think Middleburn are one of them yet. The 'trail' double still has a standard BCD if that's an issue.

They're nice cranks, I started with a double (30/42) but have gone single ring (36t) and prefer it personally. OEM replacements won't be cheap, if cost is an issue, why not get the XT double, or as you say just convert some other cranks. TA Chinook rings work well. I liked 28/40 with a 9 speed cassette. Can either use a bash, or just get some short bolts.
  • ddraver wrote:
    Destroy your current 9spd set up this winter then try and find a good deal on a groupset in t spring

+1! I do run the 10sp XTR set up and there really isn't much of a difference IMHO. I race and ride all round the country and have never thought "Wow, this 10sp XTR has made a real difference!" Oh, apart from a difference in my bank balance :-(
  • daveb
    daveb Posts: 4,137
    ok, thanks for the feedback. Going to stick with 9 speed for a while. Was running a single chainring but have wanted XTR cranks for a while so got some of the M970 and will sell the outer and put on a bashgaurd.
    Daveb
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Why not just run single on the M970s, exactly as you are now?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    daveb wrote:
    ok, thanks for the feedback. Going to stick with 9 speed for a while. Was running a single chainring but have wanted XTR cranks for a while so got some of the M970 and will sell the outer and put on a bashgaurd.

I meant destroy whatever the current set up is and then upgrade to 10spd XTR, you ll get a better deal as a groupset I reckon..
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Just upgraded to 2x10 from 9 speed.

XTR rear mech, xt front
    XTR shifters X9 Crankset
    SRAM cassette.

Not missing 3 rings at all.
    Whyte E120 Team
    Marin Attack Trail 2004
    Marin Mount Vision 1998
    Canondale CAAD4 2002