New brakes hope tech v2????

Bannelio
Bannelio Posts: 12
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
hi there I'm new to the forum as well as mountain biking and 2 months ago started riding DH. I have never ridden before this but got into it after spending a week out with a friend who lives in morzine and was riding in avoriaz / les gets and I was hooked and come home and bought a bike which come with a set of avid Elexir 5 and they are terrible I find myself over cooking them very easily. I brake very hard and late and have been looking around on the web and quite like the look of the hope tech v2 And thought I would ask you guys for your opinions as being new to this I am a little in the dark.

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Pretty decent brakes, but too expensive.

Where are you riding and how often are you cooking hte Elixirs? And how big are your rotors? There's not many places in the UK where you should be properly roasting a brake tbh. Elixirs aren't bad brakes.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    if you want a brake with lots of power yet tons of control you cant beat shimano saints, a bit heavy but they are a brake that can get you out of trouble and your never left wondering if your brakes will work in an emergency. ive used v2's, formula the ones and saints and the saints win hands down. chain reaction were seling saints quite cheap last time i looked.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Well at the local trails which have small DH sections they just seem to not perform as well nearer the end of the run to what they did at the start as there hot to touch and feel a little vague. I find myself slowing alot earlier than I could if I wasn't concerned about not being able to slow enough in time. The rotors are 183 front and 160 back. I am a total newbie at riding DH or single track so maybe it's normal but I do ride a lot moto x and maybe this is how a brake on a mountain bike works :?
  • Northwind
    That's pretty small rotors... But really any halfdecent brake shouldn't be cooking on short descents (I managed to turn my 160mm rear rotor a pretty colour at fort william but the brakes never suffered at all). So I'd suggest a bleed if the fluid's not new, and bigger rotors, to start with.

The other thing is, brake dragging causes a lot of heat so if you're using the brakes a lot- which is standard practice for a new rider- then they never really get a chance to cool. But short, hard braking should minimise the effects.

By the time you actually lose performance the brakes should be properly hot- drip water on the rotor and you'll hear and see it flash off.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Northwind wrote:
    By the time you actually lose performance the brakes should be properly hot- drip water on the rotor and you'll hear and see it flash off.

Except that you shouldn't drip water when they are very hot, to avoid intentional rotor warping, caused by the rapid cooling.

@Bannelio, try a 203 rotor up front, and move the front 185 rotor at the back. You rarely see DH oriented bikes without 203 rotors up front. Then you should see a difference. If then you're not satisfied, then consider buying new brakes.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Northwind
    386ka wrote:
    Except that you shouldn't drip water when they are very hot, to avoid intentional rotor warping, caused by the rapid cooling.

A small drip won't do that, and is a better test than sticking your finger on it and seeing if it melts. You wouldn't want to throw a bucket of water over one though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • 386ka
    Northwind wrote:
    386ka wrote:

A small drip won't do that, and is a better test than sticking your finger on it and seeing if it melts. You wouldn't want to throw a bucket of water over one though.

Touching the rotor is a no-no even when it is cold due to contamination, nevermind hot. One thing is for sure, your finger will smell like barbecue after that :D

BTW, once dripped (or splashed, I would say) the rotors with water while very hot, the other day both were visibly distorted, and squeeling. So if you don't want to mess around straightening out your rotors after that, then don't do it intentionaly. :)
  • 386ka wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    386ka wrote:

Touching the rotor is a no-no even when it is cold due to contamination, nevermind hot. One thing is for sure, your finger will smell like barbecue after that :D

BTW, once dripped (or splashed, I would say) the rotors with water while very hot, the other day both were visibly distorted, and squeeling. So if you don't want to mess around straightening out your rotors after that, then don't do it intentionaly. :)

What happens if you hit a puddle at the bottom of a long decent, rotors have got to withstand that haven't they?
    2011 Cube Fritzz http://sdrv.ms/Z8xkDa
    2012 Zesty 714 http://sdrv.ms/YgJV4u
  • Northwind
    You must stop, dismount, and carry the bike over it (if riding in the rain, take 2 umbrellas)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Yeah thats what I figured, I will only ride around midday on the hottest of days with zero humidity :lol:
    2011 Cube Fritzz http://sdrv.ms/Z8xkDa
    2012 Zesty 714 http://sdrv.ms/YgJV4u
  • Ok guys thanks for the replys I will try upping the rotors and avoiding puddles :lol: Although could be hard living in sunny England with the winter setting in pretty fast :? Will let you no how I get on thanks alot
  • 386ka
    @fritzz11, that's why I said not to do it on purpose. Yep, they have to withstand that, and much more, and you can soak them even in rotor deep water. But you may be faced with warped rotors. They work - yes. Rapid cooled - slightly warped and squeeling. Anyway, there is a difference between a puddle, and a liter of water splashed over the rotor.

@Bannelio, don't worry, you shouldn't be afraid of the puddles, but don't try to intentionally cool them with water while they are very hot, to avoid the chance of warping them. Even then, you can straighten them out. :)

@Northwind, I see what you did there. :D
  • Northwind
    386ka wrote:
    Anyway, there is a difference between a puddle, and a liter of water splashed over the rotor.

But who said anything like that? "drip water on the rotor". Less water than a puddle.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • 386ka
    Northwind wrote:
    386ka wrote:
    Anyway, there is a difference between a puddle, and a liter of water splashed over the rotor.

But who said anything like that? "drip water on the rotor". Less water than a puddle.

True.