Ribble headset and 10 sp cassette fitment

afcbian
afcbian Posts: 424
edited September 2011 in Workshop
A couple of unrelated questions if anyone can help me.

I have just bought a new Ribble winter frame as the older one I had is too big.
I went to swap over the headset but the bearings are not a snug fit in the new frame, they were snug and tight in the older frame. My question is I am assuming they should be absolutely snug ? I didn't realise the headtubes would be very slightly different.

Also I have just popped a new 10 speed cassette on to a set of Mavic Aksium Races and when I tighten the lock ring the rings are still slightly loose and move about. This hasn't happened before on any of the other cassettes/wheels

Any help is much appreciated

Cheers
I ride therefore I am

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Check that your new frame takes the same model of headset.

Re cassette, you need to fit a narrow spacer first
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • afcbian
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Check that your new frame takes the same model of headset.

Re cassette, you need to fit a narrow spacer first

Where does the spacer go, under the large ring or the lockring ?
    I ride therefore I am
  • Under the large ring.

Is the headset bearing a sloppy fit - moves about side to side or does it just slide in easy without moving about? Former, need a different headset, latter its probably okay.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • afcbian
    Under the large ring.

Is the headset bearing a sloppy fit - moves about side to side or does it just slide in easy without moving about? Former, need a different headset, latter its probably okay.

No its a sloppy fit, hence my question. New headset required :roll:
    The bit I don't get is that I have taken it from a 3 year old Ribble winter frame and tried to put it into a new winter ribble frame. Correct me if I am wrong but standard 1.1/8" headsets are all the same diameter so surely a new one will be the same sloppy fit :?
    I ride therefore I am
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Easier surely to ask Ribble??
  • With my Mavics, and it may be the same with yours, there are two spacers. What brand of cassette is it? If shimano, then one spacer is required because it is a shimano cassette. Additionally, whatever the make of cassette, if it is 10 speed, then one spacer is required. Therefore, for a 10 speed, shimano cassette, two are required to give the required tightness. If you've got the booklet that came with the wheels, there's a diagram explaining this.

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Re headsets - there are a multitude of different standard, some varying by as little as 0.2mm in diameter. Suggest you ask Ribble the question about what model of headset is required.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • afcbian
    Headset is sorted. The new frames have been changed from 36x45 to 45x45 hence the issue. I assumed the 2 frames would use the same type of headset.........doh :oops:
    Some advice on here, some research using google and a call to Ribble.......sorted.

The cassette is a BBB 10 speed 28-13
    The wheels were bought second hand so no info there. They are Campag not shimano.
    The cassette has an alloy shim between the big ring and the next, then plastic shims thereafter.
    The 9 speed cassette is fine though.
    I was only switching the cassette over while my other wheel hubs are repaired.
    I ride therefore I am