revelation rlt air pressures - how low can you go?

xixang
xixang Posts: 235
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
just taken delivery of brand new set of 2011 rev rlt's (140mm) to replace my rebas

So, I fit them, remove all air from +ve and -ve chambers then reinflate both (+ then -) to 100psi.

roll o-ring to bottom of stanchion, sit on bike kitted up and measure movment - 15mm movement (sag?) from unweighted bike to weighted bike

I then reset and try 85 psi in both - sit. measure again. 25mm sag

As i should be aiming for around 35mm sag (25% of 140) I'll need to go lower, maybe 70-75psi. How low can you go on the pressures??

Surely this can't be right. RS say significantly more for my riding weight of around 165lb. Are they so far off with their recommendations??

BTW I've tried 2 pumps and same with both, so not a faulty reading (unless both screwed the same)

Also, went for a ride at 85psi, max travel was to within 40mm of stanchion top, again indicating too much pressure limiting travel as I'd expect around 30mm more (so to 10mm from top)

I'll try 70-75 but it just seems wrong

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I'd ignore the recommended, my fox forks have about 50psi in them but for my weight it says 70 which is quite a difference.

Just set the psi to your correct sag then work on the rebound.
  • xixang
    thanks, thats what i'd figured on doing but it just seemed wrong to go so low compared to RS levels. Can't believe they are so far off.

so, how do people set up dual air? I've seen two methods..

inflate +ve only until sag is as desired then match -ve; OR

inflate both +ve and -ve to same, play with pressures, keeping them matched until sag as desired

in both cases, once sag set then play with -ve pressure to increase/decrease frok sensitivity

Or doesn't it matter??
  • Do it the basic way, go ride it, then fiddle/fettle as necessary.

Hugely depends on the riding you do as well.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    Ignore the recommended. I'm a light rider with a light riding style, doing mainly XC stuff. I've got about 70 PSI of pressure in the fork. You'd think that at lower pressures, the fork would be under less stress too...
  • xixang wrote:
    just taken delivery of brand new set of 2011 rev rlt's (140mm) to replace my rebas

So, I fit them, remove all air from +ve and -ve chambers then reinflate both (+ then -) to 100psi.

roll o-ring to bottom of stanchion, sit on bike kitted up and measure movment - 15mm movement (sag?) from unweighted bike to weighted bike

As i should be aiming for around 35mm sag (25% of 140) I'll need to go lower, maybe 70-75psi. How low can you go on the pressures??

Surely this can't be right. RS say significantly more for my riding weight of around 165lb. Are they so far off with their recommendations??

BTW I've tried 2 pumps and same with both, so not a faulty reading (unless both screwed the same)

Also, went for a ride at 85psi, max travel was to within 40mm of stanchion top, again indicating too much pressure limiting travel as I'd expect around 30mm more (so to 10mm from top)

Revelation is a DA fork -no sense to set it up as SA fork.
  • xixang
    vanamees wrote:
    xixang wrote:

you've lost me...

how am I setting up as single air by running low pressures?
  • xixang wrote:
    vanamees wrote:
    xixang wrote:

you've lost me...

how am I setting up as single air by running low pressures?
    SA have equal pressure in both chambers.DA forks - more pressure in negative side - fork is softer, more sag. Lower pressure - fork is stiffer, less sag.
  • xixang
    gotcha, thanks

the plan for tomorrow is to try 70 each side to start and refine -ve after, maybe try around 70+ and 80- and take it from there
  • xixang wrote:
    gotcha, thanks

the plan for tomorrow is to try 70 each side to start and refine -ve after, maybe try around 70+ and 80- and take it from there
    You have to rise both pressures if fork bottoming out too easily or lower pressures if fork dont use most of travel. It takes time to find best set up.
  • Remember to stand on the pedals not sit on the saddle when setting sag as you should be doing most of your riding in this position and puts more weight on the front so will effect your sag measurements.
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    just asked pretty much exactly the same question in my bike thread and was directed here. wish i had searched here first.

i have to agree with the OP, the rockshox settings given on the fork are miles too high.

if others have been running them much lower then i think ill be ok to do so.

mine were at 100psi and were a bit too firm for my weight (85kg) so ill defo have to reduce and try more pressure in negative chamber for softer start to travel.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Try here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forums/vie ... t=12629675
    Explains all...
    sag is set via the +ve spring. The -ve spring allows you to tune the feel to your preference