Giro di Lombardia route announced

andyp
andyp Posts: 10,112
edited September 2011 in Pro race
The new route has been announced today;

http://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/GiroLom ... 2011.shtml

I think it looks good, some decent hills early on then the Sormano, the Ghisallo and a final hill with the summit just 9 kms before the finish. There's a 7 km descent then 2 kms of flat into Lecco, so similar to the Como finish of recent years.

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Yep, good route - the Valcava is a serious climb, more something for a mountain stage than a one day classic, but very early on, so there might not be much actual racing on it yet. If there is, or if it would have been put in later on, it would be a real climbers route. As is still interesting to see how it will develop
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    Brutal one dayer.
  • Love this race but hate the fact it means we are at the end of the season!

Will be interesting to see if Gilbert can sustain his amazing season, but personally I would like to see somebody else win. Always so hard to know who is in form at this time of year though.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    ouch.
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    That really is super tough.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It's a great race and even if they keep rerouting it the winner is usually the best on the day.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Not overly enthused by the 9km of downhill / flat to the finish but other than that it looks good (in a horrible way).

Hope Dan Martin can hold his Vuelta form until then.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    There was a 6 km downhill run from the top of the San Fermo on the previous route, which didn't affect the result that much, as generally the rider first over the top would be first across the line in Como.