Creaking Carbon Steerer / Headset

rdt
rdt Posts: 869
edited September 2011 in Workshop
As a result of assorted stem fettling and changes, I seem to have ended up with a steerer/headset that creaks rather a lot. Most noticeable when climbing steep hills and pulling on the bars.

What's the cause/cure? Is grease the word?

Comments

• I know people say to use carbon paste, but if you've got the creaks then try normal grease on the fork steerer, the stem clamp plate AND the faces of the bung inside the steerer.
    Good luck!
    -- "I am but a spoke in the wheel of life" -- Ghandi
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Take the front end apart, even drop the forks, give it all a good clean and then put it back together, i get it on my Look every now and again and that seems to work.
  • Its probably the stem bolts that hold the bars that are too lose. It was with mine, same problem– creaking when going up hills standing. If bars are carbon use paste.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Its probably the stem bolts that hold the bars that are too lose. It was with mine, same problem– creaking when going up hills standing. If bars are carbon use paste.

+1
    Mens agitat molem
  • I get this, too.

Couldn't resolve it until I spotted the bit about 'dropping' the front end of the bike in this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OnmM9EjeiE&feature=youtube_gdata_player (from 2:03 onwards).

Now, I'm silent and deadly when hauling on the bars - sounded like a creaky floor before that.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    I hsd this on my carbon bike from new and despite tightening the headset several times I took it to the LBS. He quickly took the cap off and said that there was not enough gap between the top of the stem and steerer tube. He added a slim spacer and retightened. It hasn't creaked since.