Strange crash, not sure what happened...

Ghostt
Ghostt Posts: 192
edited September 2011 in MTB beginners
This evening, during my usual ride round my local forest, I was treated to a flying lesson over the handlebars. As I'm a relative newbie (hence posting in the beginners forum) this isn't so strange, except I've no idea how it happened. Usually, I have the occasional spill when I try something a bit too ambitious, like jumping a log, but this time I was just riding along a trail I know well.

I was riding pretty much flat out when the bike seemed to just stop dead and the rear rose up sharply, throwing me over the top. Luckily, I landed on my side, so picked myself up and began to investigate WTF happened! the only thing I noticed was the chain had slipped off the front chainring and onto the chainstop, but I can't say if this happened before or as a result of the crash. There was no sign on trail, like a hidden root, of what caused it, and all I can remember was the front went off line moments before.

So, has anyone else experienced anything like this? Just seems so odd, I thought I'd share it!
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think so but landed on my head so don't remember.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I was riding behind my mate before, fairly straighforward around cannock, done it god knows how many times before and suddenly he was over the bars, on the floor with his bike on top of him... no idea why.

Personally I blame Wiggle.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Maybe picked up a stick in the wheel? Could have been thrown clear in the crash so you'd not see it.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • This happened to me once. The culprit (revealed itself by being bent out of shape) was the fixing for my kid's trailer which attaches to the rear skewer. I had left it on because "that couldn't catch on anything, right?"

Lovely scar to show for it.
    Riding the Etape du Tour for Beating Bowel Cancer - click to donate http://bit.ly/P9eBbM
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Had a similar crash on the monkey at cannock chase. I can only assume that the front wheel got caught in a rut or something-it happened on one of the flattest, easiest sections of the trail ( on the run up to the berms and jumps, after the zig zag log thing)
  • p44cmb
    p44cmb Posts: 124
    I had a similar experience to you a few months back. So I guess your crash could have been a tree stump hiding ready to catch out unsuspecting cyclists.

Basically I went slightly of the line of the trail by about a foot and nestling amongst the bracken was a tree stump. I hit it dead on with the front wheel. Next thing I know is there was a loud crunching noise from my neck as I landed 180 degrees upside down on my head. No lasting damage other than whiplash for a couple of weeks. Sure as hell made me realise that helmets are essential items of equipment though.