Basic bike setup - Stem Length

dry664
dry664 Posts: 155
edited September 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi,
Just got my Whyte 801 and have been really enjoying it over the weekend. I've been trying to work on its setup and I think im going on the right direction. The bike is a 22" XL frame and I am 6ft 4 with long legs. My arms arent particularly long though. The bike was initially set up with the saddle position all the way back but I found my postion was too hunched, especially after I had raised the saddle approx 5 inches (as needed). I have now moved the saddle fully forward (15mm) and tilted the riser bars toward me so the reach is shorter. I feel really comforatble in the position except now my knee is ahead of the pedal axis when the pedals are horizontal. The bike currently has the stock 85mm stem with no rise.
I believe I need to get a shorter stem but slide the saddle all the way back again so my reach stays the same but my knees are in the right place. Does this sound correct? Can anyone suggest a replacement stem? Thanks very much

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Moving your saddle back 15mm and reducing your stem to 70mm will give you the same reach, was your knee inline with the saddle back?

Maybe look at a bar with more back sweep as well but you don't state what your bar is.

Only thing with reducing your stem length it may be harder to climb but it will be more fun down.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • I don't think the saddle should be all the way forward or all the way back as ideally you want your weight centred on the bike, no?

Sounds like the bike is too big for you in my humble (and not so knowledgeable) opinion
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Post a picture of you on the bike.
  • dry664
    Thanks for the help all :-)

"Moving your saddle back 15mm and reducing your stem to 70mm will give you the same reach, was your knee inline with the saddle back? "

My leading knee is perfectly in line with the axis of the leading pedal when the saddle is in its furthest back position. From what I have read I believe that position is fundamental? Only problem is that I have to reach too much for the handlebar. If I shift the seat forward, the reach is more comfortable but obviously I lose the relationship with the lead knee and the pedal axis. I'm thinking that saddle back with shorter stem will keep the reach but give me the knee/pedal axis relationship.

"I don't think the saddle should be all the way forward or all the way back as ideally you want your weight centred on the bike, no? Sounds like the bike is too big for you in my humble (and not so knowledgeable) opinion"

The saddle is designed to be adjusted and its only 15mm either way. I'm sure the bike isn't too big for me since Ive had to raise the seatpost 5 inches already. Maybe Im wrong?

Will post a picture of me on the bike as soon as I can
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Exact positions of knees etc might be more important on road bikes than MTB as you move around much more and stand for the more interesting bits. . I'd just get comfortable
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    From what I have read I believe that position is fundamental?

Not at all. Go for what feels best.
  • dry664
    I'm thinking the best thing to do is get hold of a cheap 70mm stem and see how it feels.
  • Just keep wrenching on it you'll get the set up that feels right to you, Don't worry about what others think you should do. It's your bike and your ride. Enjoy!

Use the right tool for the right job.
    Valve Wrench
    Use the right tool for the right job.Valve Wrench
  • "I'm sure the bike isn't too big for me since Ive had to raise the seatpost 5 inches already. Maybe Im wrong?"

Unless I'm doing proper DH runs my saddle is between about 8-12" above the top of the seat tube.

Of course keep playing until you find what's comfortable but if you're moving the seat forward and angling the bars back it would seem the top tube is slightly too long, no?

If your legs are long and your arms aren't I would go for perfect top tub length and then maybe get a longer seat post. But hey that's me so like everyone says - whatever you feel comfortable with :D
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8