Best Tour of Britain ever?

Noclue
Noclue Posts: 503
edited September 2011 in Pro race
Well for a good few years that i've been paying attention anyway. Really enjoyed it this year, good course imo, good racing and really impressive seeing some of the smaller domestic teams mixing it up with some of the pro tour teams.

Comments

• Sorry to disagree, but I can't help think back to the '89 ToB when Millar handed PDM's ass to them on a plate.

Though I might be biased by the fact it was Millar and the crucial stage finished in my home town... :D
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • In terms of support on the roadside I think it probably is!

I was in Devon for Stage 5 and the turn out for the start and sign on was pretty good, but for the finish in Exmouth it was amazing.

The fact that the likes of Cav, Thomas and Hushovd rode it as well helped. Here's hoping that support continues to grow for the ToB!
  • Each to their own I suppose - just judging it on the racing I thought it was a bit of a damp squib - can't remember a single stage that stood out. No really exciting finishes and no real twists and turns in the battle for the GC.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    I thought it was pretty good: easily the most absorbing one since it restarted in 2004. Probably helped in that this was the first edition I actualy saw some of in the flesh...
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Best for quality of the field.

Racing wise it didn't stand out.
  • I think overall it's getting better every year but this year didn't have one real stand out stage whereas last year we had the great stage up Constitution Hill which Albasini won in the rain.

The fact that the likes of Cav, Hushovd, Boom and Thomas are coming to this race and taking it seriously shows that it's a race on the up. These are big stars, not just up and comers or middling riders who are the type of riders who have dominated this race in the past. The crowds have been incredible at times, almost like watching the Tour de France in that respect. The race really does seem to be gaining some traction and I for one hope that continues.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,585
    I think overall it's getting better every year but this year didn't have one real stand out stage whereas last year we had the great stage up Constitution Hill which Albasini won in the rain.

The fact that the likes of Cav, Hushovd, Boom and Thomas are coming to this race and taking it seriously shows that it's a race on the up. These are big stars, not just up and comers or middling riders who are the type of riders who have dominated this race in the past. The crowds have been incredible at times, almost like watching the Tour de France in that respect. The race really does seem to be gaining some traction and I for one hope that continues.

People were saying that when a rainbow-clad Boonen turned up 5 years ago.
  • True, but who won the overall that year, i'll give you a clue he's Danish and he hasn't won much else.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,585
    True, but who won the overall that year, i'll give you a clue he's Danish and he hasn't won much else.

True, but the '06 top 10 has some proper quality. Similar to the quality we see now.

1 Martin Pedersen Denmark Team CSC 21h 51'24"
    2 Luis Pasamontes Spain Unibet.com + 51"
    3 Filippo Pozzato Italy Quick Step-Innergetic + 2'11"
    4 Nick Nuyens Belgium Quick Step-Innergetic + 2'46"
    5 Michael Rogers Australia T-Mobile Team + s.t.
    6 Iljo Keisse Belgium Chocolade Jacques-Topsport Vlaanderen + 3'06"
    7 Johann Tschopp Switzerland Phonak iShares + 3'07"
    8 Andy Schleck Luxembourg Team CSC + 3'14"
    9 Russell Downing United Kingdom DFL-Cycling News-Litespeed + 3'16"
    10 Maarten Tjallingii Netherlands Skil-Shimano + 3'18"

It gets better and better audiences, which is good. Unfortunately, (as the Vuelta will testify), crowds by the side of the road seem to have little impact on the UCI rating.

When it becomes a pro-tour event like Poland (more like if), the real big guns will turn up.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I thought last year was really good, with a very challenging course. This year wasn't as good.

At least the race seems to have found its niche as a pre-Worlds warm-up. I guess one has to ask whether they would seek HC status, or be happy to remain as a 2.1. Presumably the limitations on field size (does any other 2.1 race even have such a small field?) would mean a jump to HC status is unlikely. Plus I'd imagine it would then affect the inclusion of all the British Continental teams.
  • True, but who won the overall that year, i'll give you a clue he's Danish and he hasn't won much else.

True, but the '06 top 10 has some proper quality. Similar to the quality we see now.

1 Martin Pedersen Denmark Team CSC 21h 51'24"
    2 Luis Pasamontes Spain Unibet.com + 51"
    3 Filippo Pozzato Italy Quick Step-Innergetic + 2'11"
    4 Nick Nuyens Belgium Quick Step-Innergetic + 2'46"
    5 Michael Rogers Australia T-Mobile Team + s.t.
    6 Iljo Keisse Belgium Chocolade Jacques-Topsport Vlaanderen + 3'06"
    7 Johann Tschopp Switzerland Phonak iShares + 3'07"
    8 Andy Schleck Luxembourg Team CSC + 3'14"
    9 Russell Downing United Kingdom DFL-Cycling News-Litespeed + 3'16"
    10 Maarten Tjallingii Netherlands Skil-Shimano + 3'18"

It gets better and better audiences, which is good. Unfortunately, (as the Vuelta will testify), crowds by the side of the road seem to have little impact on the UCI rating.

When it becomes a pro-tour event like Poland (more like if), the real big guns will turn up.

Fair point. I still think the parcours and the start list are gradually getting better though each year, unfortunately the way the race is organised and funded will always be a limiting factor.

I really feel it could become the stepping stone to the worlds given time. I can't see in going World Tour due to the restrictions on field size and financing etc but I don't think it needs to. There are lots of non world tour races that attract good fields and competitive racing, in fact some of them are more prestigious than some of the World Tour races. The presence of the UK based teams also gives it an extra dimension and gives much needed exposure to the domestic racing scene and hopefully will allow them to develop the next generation of Cav's and Thomas's.

Call me a hopeless nationalist but I really want to see this race go onwards and upwards.

I'm not sure I would have recognised Andy Schleck back in 2006 though.
  • squired wrote:
    I thought last year was really good, with a very challenging course. This year wasn't as good.quote]

+1 Porte and Martin kept last year animated. Cycling in loops around Royal Docks and City Airport was rubbish compared to a Whitehall finale mind you
  • The ToB does seem to be growing in popularity each year in terms of specatators.
    I was at the Tavistock start last year and the finish at Exmouth this year. Both of them were really busy and had an amazing atmosphere. I chatted to several people in the crowd who knew nothing about bike racing but had just come along for the jolly, and this year enjoyed seeing a local rider making his mark.

Having a bike race in Britain has to be a good thing - for promoting cycling, healthier lifestyles and tourism (although Blackpool may not have made too favourable an impression this year :D ).

I can't understand why Somerset doesn't want to host it anymore; OK they need to save money, and it costs them £150k a year; but that must be peanuts compared with their total tourism advertising budget. Plus, it brings in people to watch the race who spend money.

Hopefull they will come to Cornwall instead!
  • Graculus wrote:

As great as that would be I just can't see it. Cornwall is one of the most economically depressed places in the country so think they have more pressing issues. pretty much any route through Cornwall would be pretty selective with the constant steep ups and downs.

Bad news that Somerset are not doing it again next year. The organisers will find it hard to replace that money with another area willing to stump up for a stage. I did wonder whether the ToB would even happen this year and with government budgets continuing to be cut its long term future must be in the balance.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Graculus wrote:

As great as that would be I just can't see it. Cornwall is one of the most economically depressed places in the country so think they have more pressing issues. pretty much any route through Cornwall would be pretty selective with the constant steep ups and downs.

Bad news that Somerset are not doing it again next year. The organisers will find it hard to replace that money with another area willing to stump up for a stage. I did wonder whether the ToB would even happen this year and with government budgets continuing to be cut its long term future must be in the balance.

+1. Was quite surprised Welsh Govt shelled out for it this year. Must have found a couple of quid left over from the Ryder Cup partners' pets' canapes budget.

With RDAs no more and LEPs brassic, next year may turn into the Tour of Scotland :wink:

Strava is not Zen.
  • Have to say that the quality of the field is certainly getting better. The racing though was not so.

I've been too a few of the stages over the past few years and this year just seemed a bit quite with no real drama. Was good to see a British rider win 2 stages and really liked that but didn't find it a exciting as last few years.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    Spent a great afternoon watching the end of stage 8B near the finish line. Great atmosphere, some rain and the usual MC sprint....

Screen%20shot%202011-09-19%20at%2016.57.57.jpeg

Screen%20shot%202011-09-19%20at%2016.58.24.jpeg

Screen%20shot%202011-09-19%20at%2016.58.34.jpeg

Screen%20shot%202011-09-19%20at%2016.58.57.jpeg

Screen%20shot%202011-09-19%20at%2017.00.41.jpeg

Screen%20shot%202011-09-19%20at%2017.01.24.jpeg

Screen%20shot%202011-09-19%20at%2017.02.53.jpeg
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Best one ive watched!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Thought the route this year was really uninspiring, especially after last year. Think the fact that riders said how challenging it was last year may have had a bearing on that. And what is it with these dumb finales on stages. 'S' bends in the final 50 metres with the finish line on a bend (used last year too i think) and super short finishing straights so the first man into the final corner is the winner... i found myself getting worked up for the finish only to see it over in seconds.

Whilst the Whitehall circuits are so much better than the barren landscape of last years final stage, i do wish they'd look at other potential London circuits. Granted the embankment is probably the easiest road to close for a day, but having watched a few final stages there now, it is desperately boring...

The crowds throughout the race were great to see though.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Correct me - Robert Millar`s win in 89 and attacking the field in 1990 dropping Kelly and Martin earley ??? much harder courses back then also.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    We went to London, and loved every minute.
    The access and time the pro's gave to Jnr was almost breath taking, not an ego, headphone or minder in sight.

No matter which team we went to everybody connected to them couldn't have been more fan friendly.

Jnr got 5 of the 6 Sky riders autographs, photos with them all, Lars Boom, and Thor Hushovd.
    Plus countless others, all this within half an hour of the final race.

We went past the Rapha team, and I saw the Yetti KoM's prize rammed in the front of a van.

I asked a member of staff if jnr could have his pic with the cuddly toy, the bloke replied, 'it's not mine'.

He then shouted the question and I saw Jon Tiernan-Locke stop what he was doing walk round get his prize and posse for a photo.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    I think they wasted some stages this year, for example the Exmouth stage got split up early on by the Haytor climb but then they had a long section of easier road on which to pull the break back and what should have been the toughest stage ended in a bunch gallop.

I also don't think a crit has any place in a UCI stage race although I acknowledge they are great for spectators.

This year no-one really challenged Boom after he took the lead on Stage 3. That's the fault of the teams rather than the race of course but there possibly needs to be the odd proper uphill finish to help split things up.
  • Pross wrote:
    I also don't think a crit has any place in a UCI stage race although I acknowledge they are great for spectators.

Would you take out the Champs Elysees stage from the TDF?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Pross wrote:

It should be shorter. The laps are way too long IMO. It's not like the course is selective, so if you had it about half the length it would work better.

Aside from popping up to see it on Sunday, I didn't see any of it. The reports on twitter / the Comic etc didn't inspire me to watch it. Using the same rules last year I watched about 3 of the stages.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Did anyone else get really annoyed with Hugh Porter saying shatreu over and over again - what are Liggett and co doing outside July?
    Bring back the original C4 Tour theme tune !

The wife's breastfeeding tops website
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Phil L was there, wandering back up to Nelson a little before the main race started.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Did anyone else get really annoyed with Hugh Porter saying shatreu over and over again - what are Liggett and co doing outside July?

YES!!! Even when it was on the screen clearly with the 'R' before the 'T' he continued with his incompetence. Overall though i quite like the addition of Brian Smith. And also Ned and Yanto are good, Ned particularly.

Watched the final stage last night and Cav's win was immense, the helicopter shot showed how far he was away when he started, 5th with no-one in front of him to lead him out.

In terms of having a crit as the last stage, i suppose if you have it in London thats what you have to have, you couldnt have a proper city stage that was normal stage length, the logistics in London are just too much. And also Lars Boom said he prefers it to the final stage of the tour.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Pross wrote:

Would you take out the Champs Elysees stage from the TDF?

Slightly different - that is just a procession at the end of the worlds biggest bike race. It is already acknowledged who the race winner is barring very serious misfortune. The ToB has 8 stages so needs as many competitive stages as possible.