Worlds Road Race

2»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Australia blow and Team GB add to their medal show.

Great bronze for Fenn and agree with Dave Harmon that finish could be tailor made for Eddy Bos.

He's 10/1 on unibet...
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Moray Gub wrote:

Great bronze for Fenn and agree with Dave Harmon that finish could be tailor made for Eddy Bos.

I had thought it was a flat finish and, distance aside, was quite a stick on for the pure speed of Cav, Sagan, Kittel...but after watching the race I'm not so sure?
    And I'm really hoping for Cav!
  • How does this finish compare to the Cap Frehel one on stage 5 of this years TdF? Run in is straighter, but in terms of gradient, length of climb etc?
  • Moray Gub wrote:

Certainly seems to be on the extreme of Cav's climbing range, except maybe for the final 30 metres.
    Trouble is, it will be kicking off at that 300m mark, where it's quite steep.
    Not quite Gilbert territory, either.
    EBH certainly in with a great shout, if he's refreshed.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Moray Gub wrote:

Certainly seems to be on the extreme of Cav's climbing range, except maybe for the final 30 metres.
    Trouble is, it will be kicking off at that 300m mark, where it's quite steep.
    Not quite Gilbert territory, either.
    EBH certainly in with a great shout, if he's refreshed.

On that camera view from behind the sprint it actually looked quite steep though probably no steeper than that TDF stage Cav won this year.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • I think the French duo were positioned just right (whereas GB were too near the front at the start of the straight) and they timed their charge perfectly.
  • I’ve come up with a formula for who will win

Nation – Top Chance(10) – Team Strength(10) – Back-Up Plan(5)

Spain – Freire 9,10,3 (Rojas)
    Germany – Greipel 9,8,4 (Degenkolb, Kittel)
    Austalia – Goss 8,8,3 (Haussler)
    Great Britain – Cavendish 10,7,1 (Swift)
    Italy – Bennati 7,9,2 (Visconti)
    Belgium – Gilbert 8,7,2 (Van Avermaet)
    Norway – Hushovd 8,4,5 (EBH)
    USA – Farrar 9,5,0
    France – Feillu 6,6,1 (Chavanel)
    Slovakia – Sagan 8,3,1 (Velits x2)
    Switzerland – Cancellara 7,3,0
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,460
    I hope Team GB don't have Swift as the back up plan. :shock:
  • After watching Women's Road Race surely it'll be a bunch sprint.

USA, Germany, Spain will want a bunch sprint. All 3 will think they could beat Cav up that rise after 250+ k's.

Australia, Belgium, Norway & Italy probably feel they will be able to beat everyone except Cav and will want a more select group.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Well done Cav!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....