Worlds Road Race

cavcan
cavcan Posts: 31
edited September 2011 in Pro race
Quick question - the worlds are due to finish at about 5pm on the 25th, which I believe is 4pm British time. From what time do Eurosport (guessing it's them) normally start showing live coverage?

Oh and for what it's worth a prediction... Boassen Hagen, Hushovd, and Sagan top three....

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    cavcan wrote:
    Quick question - the worlds are due to finish at about 5pm on the 25th, which I believe is 4pm British time. From what time do Eurosport (guessing it's them) normally start showing live coverage?

Oh and for what it's worth a prediction... Boassen Hagen, Hushovd, and Sagan top three....

Last year, Eurosport showed the WHOLE RACE live...

:D
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

They usually show a lot of it. But watch an early lap to see what the route is like and then come back for the final 40 minutes. There are many things better to do with your life than watch the WHOLE thing live.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Since the worlds is a larger event incorporating the TT, womens, juniors etc - why dont they have a team time trial ala TDF but the teams be members of countries?

So a British Cycling Team - Millar, Wiggins, Cav etc could compete together.

Sounds like a good idea to me but i imagine there is some reason not to have one?

Also for a bit of a debate - who would win, US, OZ, Belgium, Dutch, Brits, French?
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:

They usually show a lot of it. But watch an early lap to see what the route is like and then come back for the final 40 minutes. There are many things better to do with your life than watch the WHOLE thing live.

Pfft. Speak for yourself.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    carbon337 wrote:
    Since the worlds is a larger event incorporating the TT, womens, juniors etc - why dont they have a team time trial ala TDF but the teams be members of countries?

So a British Cycling Team - Millar, Wiggins, Cav etc could compete together.

Sounds like a good idea to me but i imagine there is some reason not to have one?

Also for a bit of a debate - who would win, US, OZ, Belgium, Dutch, Brits, French?

I think they're introducing. TTT next year; but done in trade teams not national. They were certainly talking about it, but I don't know if it's been confirmed.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Yep, TTTs from next year, the weekend before the road races: http://www.limburg2012.nl/section.php?s ... =programma

It's a bit odd to have trade teams at the worlds, but perhaps logical with the preparation needed for a good TTT. The Olypmics used to have 4-man TTTs with national teams. I think it was 100 km :shock:
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    And on the worlds - what about this for the most pointless headline prize?

"Schlecks lead Luxembourg team at World Championships"
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/schleck ... mpionships
  • rick_chasey
    Hehe.

That'll be their new grad's first story!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,460
    FJS wrote:
    Yep, TTTs from next year, the weekend before the road races: http://www.limburg2012.nl/section.php?s ... =programma

It's a bit odd to have trade teams at the worlds, but perhaps logical with the preparation needed for a good TTT. The Olypmics used to have 4-man TTTs with national teams. I think it was 100 km :shock:

It was 100 kms, and a world championship event too.

A race for men.
  • Where is the thread I started the other day on the worlds race?

It had some good insight and views. And from other people too!
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Won't they just give Eisel a team GB jersey?:P
  • Oz Chief wrote:
    Where is the thread I started the other day on the worlds race?

It had some good insight and views. And from other people too!

Agreed - I did look for it before starting this thread but couldn't find it (I did only look through the past three pages....).
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    Isn't this the Worlds Road Race ???

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/g ... cord-31716

:roll:
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,201
    BBC covered the Worlds live in 2009 as well, can't remember about last year though.
  • cavcan wrote:

two norwegians and a slovakian to beat GB, OZ Belgium Holland Italy France Spain, do you know something i don't?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,460
    A Norwegian, a Dane and an Australian managed it last year.
  • cavcan wrote:

two norwegians and a slovakian to beat GB, OZ Belgium Holland Italy France Spain, do you know something i don't?

Probably not, but surely therein lies the beauty of making a prediction. If it's wrong then I can't say I or anyone else will be surprised, and you can say told you so (though I note a lack of your own prediction), if right then I look like a genius....!! Seems like a no lose situation to me!
  • rick_chasey
    Andy Scheck's not going to Denmark...

He's been under the weather after an operation on his wisdom teeth.
  • the bbc have got it all live on their red button service Next Tues- womens tt 11-4, Wed mens tt 11.30-4, Sat womens rr 12.30 - 4 and Sun mens rr 9-4.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Andy Scheck's not going to Denmark...

Was he having some put in?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • rick_chasey
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/se ... ampionship

Cav's feeling bullish (for a change).
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    got a fiver on Cav at 9/1, canny odds!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Andy Scheck's not going to Denmark...

And he was sorely missed from the TT. Martin's gold tarnished by it ;-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Andy Scheck's not going to Denmark...

And he was sorely missed from the TT. Martin's gold tarnished by it ;-)

Was going to say, Schlecks TT'ing prowess would have walked all over Martin's shoddy effort.

• He's got the knives out for "I'm Tyler Farrar, sprinter with team Garmin Transitions" hasn't he?
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    According to the schedules it's on Eurosport from 10am although BBC have it on the red button from 9, but you will probably have to put up with Hugh Porter - although how he is going to cope this year without Kolobnev's calves to eulogise over I don't know. :lol:
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I'm almost frightened for Hugh Porter. Can he make it through the entire event without an embarrassing senior moment?
  • This must be shaping up to be our best Road champs ever.
    Gongs in every event?
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Australia blow and Team GB add to their medal show.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Australia blow and Team GB add to their medal show.

Great bronze for Fenn and agree with Dave Harmon that finish could be tailor made for Eddy Bos.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !