ToB stage 1 (possible spoiler)

No_Ta_Doctor
No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,558
edited September 2011 in Pro race
I've got no race info, but I've always been a fan of place names in Dumfries & Galloway. The riders today will pass within 1km of Little Cocklick.

Unfortunately they won't be riding through Twathats.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format

Comments

• Crash involving Sky, HTC and LEOPARD.
    Jens abandons:
    http://twitter.com/#!/tourofbritain
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    peleton came through finish lline 3 20 ish behind 2 riders about 50 k to go, weather conditions horrendous,give the organiser their due they are trying hard to whip up enthusiasm at the finish line in torrential rain .....not easy !
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Peloton rapidly catching up with the breakaway - should be a good finish. Not surprised the breakaway have tired given the wind today. Could be even more interesting conditions tomorrow in the remnants of Hurricane Katia - 37ph winds with 57mph gusts forecast.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Looks like it will end in a bunch sprint-rather boldly, I predict that Mark Cavendish of HTC will feature quite prominently :D
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Cav takes it.....ToB twitter is very slow-Yanto Barker is tweeting live updates though!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Tom BB wrote:
    Cav takes it.....ToB twitter is very slow-Yanto Barker is tweeting live updates though!

Andy Tennant 2nd, Zak Dempster 3rd - rather a good result for Rapha Condor.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    RichN95 wrote:
    Tom BB wrote:

Renshaw seems to think he was 2nd :?:

Good start in the rain at #TOB 2nd for me and the win for @MarkCavendish The guys chased all day to set it up perfect. Now I am bloody #cold
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    afx237vi wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Tom BB wrote:

Renshaw seems to think he was 2nd :?:

Good start in the rain at #TOB 2nd for me and the win for @MarkCavendish The guys chased all day to set it up perfect. Now I am bloody #cold

Cycling Weekly's twitter is lying to me.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Just back from watching the race from the last climb - Bloody Awful conditions 9 degrees at the top of the climb near gale force winds and driving rain. Feel sorry for the organisers and spectators you cant organise anything in this shytey country as the rain will spoil it. . :x
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    i worked on the TofB in 2009 and over 8 stages the only rain we had lasted less than 5 minutes and was at 2am on the embankment.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Great atmosphere at Peebles for the start, good to mingle with the teams and get up close to see the riders and their bikes. All the better with some big names there too.
    I had followed the Race control cars down from Edinburgh although they went via Penicuik and I took a shorter route so beat them down there to get a good parking space.
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Nice to see the local dignitaries dressing up smartly for the presentation and enhancing Dumfries's reputation as a town of culture, panache and sophistication

P1030445.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • carrock
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Just back from watching the race from the last climb - Bloody Awful conditions 9 degrees at the top of the climb near gale force winds and driving rain. Feel sorry for the organisers and spectators you cant organise anything in this shytey country as the rain will spoil it. . :x

The Devil's Beeftub was similar-although the finish in Dumfries it reached 11 degrees!!
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Cavendish
    Renshaw
    Bos

Looking forward to seeing Bos v Cav in better conditions.
  • This was my first time at a ToB stage finish. Arrived at Dumfries just before 10 am. Took my grandson and we both really enjoyed our day, although we got a right good soaking!! :D . Well done to all riders
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    BUGGER!!!!!!

I REALLY wanted to see TheJensie ride at Blackpool tomorrow where I will be spectating.

Still, should get to see Cav win another stage.

Weather set to be bad - on a good day, the cross winds along the prom are bad enough - reckon it'll tear the finish up tomorrow.
  • How annoying was the commentry today on the highlights package? If he says HTC columbia one more time and nobody corrects him, im going to scream!

Dissapointing about Jens, was looking forward to seeing him in Sandringham, Just hope we don't lose any more big names!
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Really good day today despite the weather, a welcome pint at half time helped mind!

Great to see the old Renshaw-Cav act work as usual, i was stood at 150m to go just as Cav launched.

Even the podium girls were covered up today :(
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Very annoying placing of the press photographers and hangers on at the finish. After standing in the rain for hours out view was totally obscured by them. Point to watch for anyone else going to a finish...

Great to have Cav winning - made it well worthwhile standing there. :D
  • moray_gub
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Was on that climb myself could hardly keep my feet the wind and driving rain was that strong,huge respect to the riders tho considering the conditions they put on a decent show.
  • moray_gub
    kfinlay wrote:
    Great atmosphere at Peebles for the start, good to mingle with the teams and get up close to see the riders and their bikes. All the better with some big names there too.

Yea enjoyed that myself managed to get a good look at Europcars C59s lovely bikes, all white and green except Anthony Charteau's machine he had a kind of burgundy colour scheme for some reason.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    A wee youtube of Mr Cavendish coming out of Mr Rendall's slipstream at 100m to go.

http://youtu.be/ZxzcaNL7gqg
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    carrock wrote:
    Nice to see the local dignitaries dressing up smartly for the presentation and enhancing Dumfries's reputation as a town of culture, panache and sophistication

P1030445.jpg

Shocking! Who on earth is that bloke?

Saveloy, chips and a pickled egg anyone?
  • carrock
    RoyPSB wrote:
    carrock wrote:

P1030445.jpg

A local councillor, apparently.....

Although the Salvation Army have a building opposite so he could have sneaked across from the soup kitchen just to have a wee cuddle with the podium girls........

Can't see any other stage having a prat like him presenting a jersey though.... Good old Dumfries....
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    carrock wrote:
    RoyPSB wrote:
    carrock wrote:

P1030445.jpg

Although the Salvation Army have a building opposite so he could have sneaked across from the soup kitchen just to have a wee cuddle with the podium girls........

Can't see any other stage having a prat like him presenting a jersey though.... Good old Dumfries....

I'm sure he's a smashing fella, but he does look like he's just popped out for a few pints or down the chippy. Don't councillor's in Dumfries wear / own suits?
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    The crowds at the top of Devil's Beef Tub on ToB Stage 1.

http://youtu.be/Ns3S0WwuHAc
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    RoyPSB wrote:
    carrock wrote:
    RoyPSB wrote:
    carrock wrote:

I'm sure he's a smashing fella, but he does look like he's just popped out for a few pints or down the chippy. Don't councillor's in Dumfries wear / own suits?

A small bit of internetting reveals him to be Councillor Ian Carruthers, who was the "event champion" for ToB on the Dumfries and Galloway council. A further search shows that he does own a suit - (below, left) - as well as some nice certificates
    Green%20Apple%201r.jpg
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'