creakign in the BB area

cyberknight
cyberknight Posts: 1,238
edited September 2011 in Workshop
I have an annoying creak in the BB area that i cannot pin down.

Definitely the BB area as i have checked the seatpost ,even riding the biek wiht none and it still creaks.

Under pressure i get a creak with each push of the pedal at about the 3 o'clock position, both sides.
Already checked crank tightness, chainring bolt tightness, pedals.

When i installed the BB i could not get it to tighten all the way in ( no work stand ) and the plastic side stated to cross thread on the last 2 turns.

I have bought a new BB in readiness to change it form the shop that sold me the bike , does this seem to be the likely cause?
FCN 3/5/9

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,561
    In a word, yes...Try fitting the crank properly this time though, part of the crank fitting process involves loading the bearings properly, borrow a stand or rig something up out of sticks and string....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The least likely cause but the easiest to check...just in case, upturn the bike and check the welds around the BB to the downtube etc.
    I had one with a creak i couldnt track down until i did the above. It was instantly visible from underneath...oh, new frame.
  • New BB , all sorted :)
    FCN 3/5/9
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,561
    Lucky bu**er, Superstar sent me an Italian Threaded one so I'm going to have to wait 2 weeks for it to go all the way back to the UK so they can swap it for a proper one which will have to come all the way here!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Lucky bu**er, Superstar sent me an Italian Threaded one so I'm going to have to wait 2 weeks for it to go all the way back to the UK so they can swap it for a proper one which will have to come all the way here!!

lol

Luckily my commuter uses a standard square taper :D
    FCN 3/5/9