Braking performance

funk-meister
funk-meister Posts: 34
edited September 2011 in Workshop
Just getting my winter bike prepped for the impending wetter days. The braking performance is poor in comparison to my newer summer bike.

On the winter bike i have replaced the cables and brake pads but the calipers themselves are of unknown age. Is it likely to improve the braking performance by upgrading them?

Are there any issues with using Ultegra sti with 105 calipers?

Thanx in anticipation.
Focus Izalco
Cube Agree GTC

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Other than good pads and making sure everything is clean that's a good idea.

105 works fine with Ultegra - they're just slightly heavier.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Tony Mc
    Tony Mc Posts: 180
    I've got some Shimano pad holders on my commuter bike ( Focus CX) but not sure between Kool stop Salmon or Swiss Stop green which gives me the best stopping power /value for money ??

Any thoughts Kool stops alot cheaper but will I be paying twice
    Getting there
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I use both the Swiss stop green and Koolstop black and salmon, both are a step up from the OEM blocks, buy the cheapest :D
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,869
    on thw winter bike, what are the rims made of? if they're old steel ones then afaik braking is not as good as alloy ones

the koolstop salmon are great winter/wet pads, but so are the swissstop, so as above, go for the cheapest of the two

hard to say if new calipers would help without knowing what the old ones are, but unless they are absolutely dire i'd think new pads, cables and adjustment should be enough to get decent braking
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Tony Mc
    Tony Mc Posts: 180
    Many thanks Gents Koolsstops it is then :)
    Getting there
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Changing calipers is unlikely to make any difference unless the leverage has been designed to a different value (which, I guess, is not impossible from one caliper make/model to another).

Give your rims a good scrub with some very hot water and check the surfaces of the pads for any ingrained aluminium particles. This is usually more of a problem on wet-weather bicycles as the rain washes mud onto the road which, having been picked up by the wheel, becomes an abrasive between the pad and the wheel rim.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • I find the Halt Gooey pads good (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=45697), not as soft as the name suggests but work well, brought the braking performance of my 105 callipers with tiagra levers up to scratch.
  • I find the R55C3 pads from 7900/6700 far better in the wet than the 5600/6600/7800 R55C2's.

Worth a try possibly.