Did Bradley have a low enough gear today?

Comments

• Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    edited September 2011
    symo wrote:
    I think he showed today that he is in the elite of climbers, so he can TT really well, climb really well (barring a collarbone stopping him hopping out the saddle more).

Race is far from over. Lots of flat stages for those noted flatland riders at Geox to crash in.

Really!!!!!!

He admits that if the gradient makes 10% he is in trouble.

Contador evans Basso Schleck (x2) all missing for a start. Nibali is not that good either which is why he is doing the Vuelta.

None of the best are there and he was cracked by a very good dommie in Cobo
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    symo wrote:
    I think he showed today that he is in the elite of climbers, so he can TT really well, climb really well (barring a collarbone stopping him hopping out the saddle more).

Race is far from over. Lots of flat stages for those noted flatland riders at Geox to crash in.

Really!!!!!!

Contador evans Basso Schleck (x2) all missing for a start. Nibali is not that good eother which is why he is doing the Vuelta.

Rearrange.

Talking stop out arse your of.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    symo wrote:

Really!!!!!!

Contador evans Basso Schleck (x2) all missing for a start. Nibali is not that good either which is why he is doing the Vuelta.

Nibs no good? Menchov? Whatever.

At the very least there'll be no-one claiming his TdF 4th was a lucky fluke on an easy course will there? Although I'm sure you weren't one of those

Strava is not Zen.
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    symo wrote:

Really!!!!!!

Contador evans Basso Schleck (x2) all missing for a start. Nibali is not that good eother which is why he is doing the Vuelta.

Rearrange.

Talking stop out ars* your of.

Which of Rule 74's point/s is coming out of his ars*?

The one which he suggests Contador is a better climber than Wiggins?
    Or that Bradley finds +10% gradients hard?
    Or that yesterday, Cobo's attack put the Sky man into difficulty?

Seems to me, that while Rule 74's statements might be unpalatable to some, they aren't inaccurate.

Which means that the man with talking ars*, would be you......................again.

Much more effective would have been the barely disguised Spanish doping allegation, repost.
    Something along the lines of Cobo was on the right gear for the Angliru.
    calvjones wrote:

At the very least there'll be no-one claiming his TdF 4th was a lucky fluke on an easy course will there? Although I'm sure you weren't one of those

The problem with Nibs and Menchov is that both seem to have at least one bad day in the mountains.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • calvjones
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    symo wrote:

Really!!!!!!

Rearrange.

Seems to me, that while Rule 74's statements might be unpalatable to some, they aren't inaccurate.

Which means that the man with talking ars*, would be you......................again.

Much more effective would have been the barely disguised Spanish doping allegation, repost.
    calvjones wrote:

The problem with Nibs and Menchov is that both seem to have at least one bad day in the mountains.

Hasn't stopped them bagging what, 4 GTs between them?

Strava is not Zen.
  • calvjones
    Although to be fair I'd only call Brad an 'elite' climber if that elite was around a dozen or 15 strong.

He's a Menchov/Indurain type. Not a goat but classic GT winning type nonetheless.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Thread getting a little heated and separating along predictble lines. I know where I stand.

However, strictly 'on thread' - whatever has been said, I for one was screaming for Brad to find a bigger back sprocket. Knew he was already in it - but didn't stop me from wishing it to materialise on his cassette!! At that point (ie the point he very seriously came close to doing an imitation of MOTO 2), I'm pretty sure he would have happily shifted for another tooth or couple teeth on the back.

Yes - he was in desperate desperate trouble by this point, but I still think it would have resulted in a marginally better time up that last slog.

More off thread - Brad was a total hero yesterday and was (by his admission - by anyones admission) undertaking something well outside of his comfort zone, well outside of what we would recognise as Wiggins territory.

In summary - total shame to see him almost heading towards a track stand on the Angilru. That said, he's paving new ground here folks and many of the elements of 'he can't do this' or 'he can't do that' are simply no longer applicable to 'NEW- BRAD' !
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd think that most clean riders would have one bad day (at least) in the mountains.

Think back to the dopers - ridiculously strong on all of the mountain stages.
  • calvjones wrote:

calvjones wrote:
    Hasn't stopped them bagging what, 4 GTs between them?

True enough.
    Everybody had at least one bad day at last year's Vuelta and Nibali managed his damage limitation very well. Had Anton stayed in the race.............
    Dennis won his GT's by mostly avoiding his normal bad mountain day and by great ITT performances

In that context, IF Wiggins doesn't win this Vuelta, he didn't just lose it on the slopes of the Angliru, yesterday but in conjunction with the two stages against the clock.

What Wiggins has achieved at this Vuelta is to show that his 2009 performance was not a fluke and that he has developed his climbing to the extent that it can be classed as very strong, rather than great.
    It is also clear, that while the Tour competition might have been stiffer, the parcours were better suited to Bradley's potential.
  • Face it he can't CLIMB.

TT up a mountain yes but when it gets steep he gets found out.

For one not surprised and watched waiting for him to crack as predicted

If finishing 5th on a climb like that in a GT and wasting the likes of Nibli is your idea of someone who can't climb then I would love to see what sort of drugged up freakshow would be your idea of a good climber.
  • wiggin's 2009 was a fluke made possible by a neutral tour that came down to 1 climb (Ventoux) and he failed to climb and was beaten by a man well past his best to lose 3rd place.

A great rider but not a great climber.

True he lost his race in the TT by cracking on the HILL

seems to be a pattern here
  • Face it he can't CLIMB.

TT up a mountain yes but when it gets steep he gets found out.

For one not surprised and watched waiting for him to crack as predicted

If finishing 5th on a climb like that in a GT and wasting the likes of Nibli is your idea of someone who can't climb then I would love to see what sort of drugged up freakshow would be your idea of a good climber.

Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team
    Andy Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek
    Fränk Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek
    Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Saxo Bank Sungard
    Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi
    Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre - ISD
    Ivan Basso

A list of the best climbers in the Biggest 3 week race of the year Who in this list would lose a minute's sleep over wiggins in the big mountains with the bigger gradients?
  • PS don't care if clean or not. That is what the testing is to stop.

Some of the best racing was when everyone took stuff Yes we all KNEW but really didn't care

Tell me athletics is clean. we all know the 100m is the dirtiest event on the planet yet nobody mnids
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    wiggin's 2009 was a fluke made possible by a neutral tour that came down to 1 climb (Ventoux) and he failed to climb and was beaten by a man well past his best to lose 3rd place.

You think the 09 Tour came down to a stage where nothing happened?

Stage 19 : Wiggins 4'th overall. Stage 20 : Wiggins 4'th over all.

3/10
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Yes, Rule 74.
    You should have quit while you were ahead.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    symo wrote:

Really!!!!!!

Rearrange.

calvjones wrote:

I think if you read his posts you'll find my comment is fair.

As for yours same old shite you usually spout.
  • I get the impression that Wiggins isn't actually all that popular , is it something about his personality that annoys people ?

He did look slightly over-geared to me but what do I know
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    ... with the bigger gradients?

But the TdF doesn't have big gradients... The french don't build those roads.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Thanks for some interesting replies.

Firstly, it didn't occur to me that people looking at the forum had TV highlights recorded but not watched yet, so apologies if I spoiled anyone's enjoyment. Saying that I don't think my title gave the game away as to how the stage finished,

Secondly, I was definitely not knocking Bradley as I think he recovered really well to finish 5th - I was just interested to know what gears he had on the bike for such a steep climb.
  • F-Newbie - oh , and NOW you tell us! You've sparked WW3 already here fella!!
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    I have seen Cobo quoted today as having 34/32 gearing (not 36/32 as some seem to be suggesting). He said that he had wanted to do a reconnaissance but hadn't found the time so he played safe. With Shimano having mtb cassettes with 34 and 36 sprockets there is not too much reason to be overgeared, just the time needed to test out the possibilities before the big day.
    I would agree that compared to most of the opposition Brad did pretty well, but Geox had 2 riders who did better than the 2 Sky. Its a pity that the time bonuses played so big a role on the GC.
  • lads

excuse my ignorance here, but when you say cobo had a 36/32,

was that on the front, or the back?

surely not the front
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,408
    I do find it odd how people slag off someone who has managed to get up that insane climb to finish the stage in 5th place.

It's a little like those who used to put down Eddie the Eagle but never had the balls to stand atop a ski jump hill, let alone go down it and take off.

Personally i suspect climbs like yesterday's are a bad hangover from the worast of the druggie days.
  • lads

excuse my ignorance here, but when you say cobo had a 36/32,

was that on the front, or the back?

surely not the front
    I think it means his smallest ring on the front was a 36 and the biggest sprocket at the back was a 32.
  • Sky were on 38x32.. Because of the asymmetric rings. Froome seems to think could have made a difference.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... uelta.html

You guys are crazy Wiggins can't climb! LOL!
    He would have been in better form during TDF.
  • Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team
    Ivan Basso

A list of the best climbers in the Biggest 3 week race of the year Who in this list would lose a minute's sleep over wiggins in the big mountains with the bigger gradients?

All of them. Not saying Wiggins would finish ahead of them all but his name wouldn't be out of place in that group. I mean Cunego - I like him as a rider but has he really consistently outclimbed Wiggins in recent years ?

The shame about Wiggins is we've had a potential GC contender all these years and he's only had a proper run at 2 - maybe 3 - grand tours.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    he dropped Cadel on the decisive climb of the dauphine this year
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Regarding the question raised by the OP and looking at a thread on Cycling news the leaders lowest gearing was reported as:

Cobo: 34x32
    Froome: 36x28
    Wiggins: 38x32
    Mollema: 36x28

Wiggins lower than Froome but Cobo significantly lower still.

Make of that what you will!
  • Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team
    Ivan Basso

All of them. Not saying Wiggins would finish ahead of them all but his name wouldn't be out of place in that group. I mean Cunego - I like him as a rider but has he really consistently outclimbed Wiggins in recent years ?

The shame about Wiggins is we've had a potential GC contender all these years and he's only had a proper run at 2 - maybe 3 - grand tours.

+ 1 but for a different reason. In that list only cadel and contador could have kept within 90 seconds or beat wiggins in a time trial (most probably though there are a lot of factors). The rest would have needed minutes from the mountains and for my money I think wiggins can stick with basso and evans etc in the mountains so he is a genuine GC contender. I think we will find out next year. We will also find out if riding high tempo as he does on the 10% climbs whether any of those contenders would suffer.

I would say about cunego though, if he is in form as he was at the tour de suisse, then he is a great climber and descender. That climb he did in stage 3 and the descent with sagan was one of the highlights of the season for me.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,632
    Fair enough if you don't like Wiggins and hope he performs poorly but to say he can't climb is idiotic. The man was leading this tour after several hard mountain stages and came in 5th on an real bitch of a mountain stage. What more has he got to do? You don't have to win every mountain stage In order to qualify as a climber. Like him or not, he can Climb!!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי