Has the nature of GT racing fundamentally changed?

morstar
morstar Posts: 6,190
edited September 2011 in Pro race
Two of the three of this years GTs have been very closely contested with no huge time gaps and several competitors in with a chance of winning at a late stage in the race.

My question is this, has the sport evolved through both technology (riding by numbers) and the concerted doping crackdown, or is it just a momentary blip?

If I'm completely honest, I do miss the superhuman feats of day long breaks over many mountains and displays of dominance uphill as they are mind blowing. However, understanding what made them possible, I am glad they are gone. The modern racing seems less dynamic on the road as big gaps are harder to achieve but in terms of GC, things are more dynamic.

Comments

• I'm not sure of the reasons why it's happening, but I know I prefer a race with Dan Martin, Voeckler and Froome at the front and Di Luca off the back...
  • morstar wrote:
    Two of the three of this years GTs have been very closely contested with no huge time gaps and several competitors in with a chance of winning at a late stage in the race.

My question is this, has the sport evolved through both technology (riding by numbers) and the concerted doping crackdown, or is it just a momentary blip?

If I'm completely honest, I do miss the superhuman feats of day long breaks over many mountains and displays of dominance uphill as they are mind blowing. However, understanding what made them possible, I am glad they are gone. The modern racing seems less dynamic on the road as big gaps are harder to achieve but in terms of GC, things are more dynamic.

We must of watched a different TdF with a certain Schlecklet. I think you're exaggerating the style of racing of previous generations of cyclists as well. It's easy to make exploits look glorious on a 30 minute highlights program.

There may be a movement towards closer racing at the moment but I think you're at risk of exaggerating the shift, I certainally wouldn;t call it "fundamental".
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    The falling time gaps are a trend I picked up on in the Importance of TTs thread. One important factor that hasn't been mentioned so far is the route design. In recent additions, the TdF organisers have made a concerted effort to keep things close, attempting to limit larger losses.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The quality spread in the peloton is reducing.

While the gaps between the top guys are probably the same as they have always been, because the slower riders are much closer in terms of performance, there are many more legs around to help shut the race down.

Ultimately more people hanging around for longer means smaller gaps for everyone.