Broken 105 Right Shifter (9 speed)

cheddarpaul
cheddarpaul Posts: 126
edited September 2011 in Workshop
All,
I think my right hand shifter is broken as it will move the chain up the cassette but wont pull it back down. When the black lever is flicked inwards it moves to almost horizontal without anything happening with the back.
Are these parts serviceable? If not, I would rather not spend lots of money buying a new right hand shifter as it would possibly cost half what the bike is worth. Has anyone an idea what I could do (looked at ebay and they seem to go for silly money)?
Thank's y'all
Boardman Team Comp
Boardman CX Team
Boardman Full Suss Pro
Brick Lane fixie
Genesis Day One

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    They're not really serviceable but I did see someone a few years ago who repaired them - might have been on Ebay and I seem to remember seeing pics on Flickr.

Worth checking that it's not that the rear derailleur is clogged up - try pulling the cable and see if it goes up and down easily.

You can get RH only on CRC for £72 - but they're 10 speed so you'd need a new cassette too - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13646
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Its def not the derailleur thats clogged as it will move if you tug the cable along the tube

I cant afford to upgrade both the cassette and shifter

Would a tiagra shifter be easy just to drop it in its place (not worried about any weight savings 105 V tiagra)??
    Boardman Team Comp
    Boardman CX Team
    Boardman Full Suss Pro
    Brick Lane fixie
    Genesis Day One
  • a 9 speed taigra shifter will work just fine

or look for an older Ultrgra 6510 shifter second hand

Simon
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    The shifter will work fine - but they are a different shape so will look and feel a bit weird.

You could probably get a pair on ebay - and then sell your LH one for a bit - they actually go wrong more often (there is a common fault) so there is probably more of a market for them.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.