Free Wheel making strange noises

speeder1987
speeder1987 Posts: 33
edited September 2011 in Workshop
Hi there

I have some fulcrum racing 5 wheels and yesterday the freewheel started making a strange noise. Its quite hard to describe, but the freewheel always made a bit of a clicking noise (like all my bikes have) but yesterday it seemed to start getting louder in pulses on every rotation, a bit like the sound of something spinning which isn't round.

Anyway today its got even worse and now its just a constant noise which is much louder than it was an constant the whole time. when i started spinning slowly there was a noise like something was rattling around inside the wheel.

Anyway, I've taken the back wheel off and taken the tyre and inner tube off the rim. When I put it back on there is no change (though the rattling noise has gone)

Things i've noticed:

1. It happens at low and high speeds
2. I don't have to be on the bike it makes no difference
3. Its constant all the time when I don't pedal

Has anyone had anything like this before? it almost sounds like there's no grease left in the freewheel.

Thanks in advance for the help
exercise.png

Comments

• Is the noise just when the wheel is spinning on the freewheel or does it happen when pedaling too?? Sounds like a bearing failure to me from what you say
  • If you've a chainwhip and cassette removal tool, its really easy to strip the freehub off.

Once the cassette's off, i think you need a 17mm spanner to undo the axle locknut then a 13mm to undo the axle tube. The freehub will then slide out and you'll see the ratchet machining in the hub. IIRC there's only a light white grease in there. Inspect the freehub pawls and check the circular spring that retains the pawls is secure.

Re the awful noise (IMO) the freehub makes, if you put some oil (i used engine oil) in the ratchet machining on the hub....it quietens it down remarkably.

Check the bearings in your hub and freehub, see if there's anything amiss ?

When re-fitting the freehub, hold the pawls in while you twist and slide the freehub back in...making sure you don't dislodge the retaining spring for the pawls, reassemble the axle tube and locknut.
  • As an afterthought, alhough it's not very likely, make sure a spoke nipple hasn't sheared and is rattling round in the rim. I suppose you could just feel all the spokes and make sure they've got tension on them as in indicator.
  • Right I have stripped the back wheel down and have just taken the cassette off. When I rotate the wheel now it runs perfectly smoothly (which means it must be the free wheel i'm guessing).

Just going to open this up now and take a look at the bearings (bit nervous as never done this before) and going to re grease them

Thanks for the advice :)

Cheers
    exercise.png
  • Well I managed to fix it. Disassembled the freewheel and regreased every thing and now its running really smooth :)

I'm pretty new to biking but servicing your bike yourself feels so good :)

Thanks for all the help
    exercise.png
  • Well I managed to fix it. Disassembled the freewheel and regreased every thing and now its running really smooth :)

I'm pretty new to biking but servicing your bike yourself feels so good :)

Thanks for all the help
    exercise.png
  • It really does leave a grin on your face.
    The assemblies beautifully simple....i assume you just did the axle tube (with the 13mm flats on) up so it removes all the side play, but not too tight, you'd risk putting too much side load on the bearings.

Nice one anyway..another bit of DIY servicing ticked off.