Rockshox Reba Race

heavyrider
heavyrider Posts: 2
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Justa cquired a bike fitted witht he above air shox but haven't a clue of how to adjust and what the various adjustments actually do to the ride.

No manual came with it and tried the manuf site but can't find any manuals that show how to set up, they just take to pieces.

Can someone help or if you have amanual that shows how it all works that you'd be willing to share that would be great.

Ta

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The FAQs here show how to set the air springs up.

The 8th link down here covers your fork:

http://www.sram.com/service/rockshox/7,103
  • Heavyrider, I'm in the same boat with my new Revs so if you find a guide on how to set the forks up and what the adjustments do, please do share.

Supersonic, your link doesn't give the required info just the installation advice.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and the adjustment are personal. rebound just slow enough that you can pick the bike off the floor from compressed before it fully extends.

the rest is trail and rider specific.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Its definitely going to be an exercise in trail and error to get the settings right but it would be easier to be aware of the impact the adjustments make. My forks have +ve and -ve chambers that can be given different pressures and a knob on top of the right leg with 'gate' adjustment along with the self explanatory rebound adjustment.

From a search some recommend putting a higher pressure in the +ve rather than the equal pressure prescribed by RS, this is something I will play around with but I've no idea what the 'gate' adjusts. :?:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the floodgate when the lock out opens. it is in the manual?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • No, not in any manual that I have or can find.

What is the difference between the gate set to fully + (open?) and the other direction?
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    the thing about the dual air system is half the people out there are running them dry and making adjustments to the +iv and -iv to correct a basic maintenance issue.

First thing to check is that their is oil in the +ve chamber (empty air out first), then play with the setting to get the right feel.

for XC enduro on hard pack I tend to run -iv higher than +ve (only slightly), with faster rebound to make the forks more sensitive on the fast sections without losing the absorption on the bigger drops.

for trail centre stuff I run +iv over -ive and more damping to make them less bouncy.

I tend to find you need more rebound as you increase the +iv as it makes the fork more bouncy.

TBH the dual system is a faf and less reliable than the solo air system IME. 90% of the time I could get almost the same result with a solo and have less stickiness in trail centres to try to tune out.
  • diy wrote:
    the thing about the dual air system is half the people out there are running them dry and making adjustments to the +iv and -iv to correct a basic maintenance issue.

First thing to check is that their is oil in the +ve chamber (empty air out first), then play with the setting to get the right feel.

for XC enduro on hard pack I tend to run -iv higher than +ve (only slightly), with faster rebound to make the forks more sensitive on the fast sections without losing the absorption on the bigger drops.

for trail centre stuff I run +iv over -ive and more damping to make them less bouncy.

I tend to find you need more rebound as you increase the +iv as it makes the fork more bouncy.

TBH the dual system is a faf and less reliable than the solo air system IME. 90% of the time I could get almost the same result with a solo and have less stickiness in trail centres to try to tune out.

:shock: Am I right in assuming that my brand new fork will have oil where it should be or should I open it up to have a check?

As I mainly run on trails, I will experiment with more air in the +ve chamber, when you say 'more damping' do you mean rebound adjustment or something else?
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    if new they should be fine, but the manual says its a monthly check. IME thats not far off, (you certainly want to have a look after 4-6) as the oil seems to get pushed down the fork with heavy use. It is the oil that seals the +ive and -ive chambers not the seals.

yep slower rebound for trails to take the bounce out caused by higher +ive.
  • Phew, I'll make a mental note to check on that soon then but I'm glad I haven't been wrecking the fork running it dry. I noticed slight rings of oil on the uppers after a ride today, is this normal?

I've been playing around with pressures at afan today, 150 + and 120- seems to work ok when I find the right level of rebound.