Orange sneak peak?

2»

Comments

• sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    well, if i wanted a 105 equipped carbon bike id be more tempted to look at these

focus for 1100 quid

ribble for about 1118 when upgraded to a 105 groupo

both would be less moneys when built as is and would still be chaeaper with some upgraded wheels.

you would have to be an utter fan boi to want one of those orange bikes*

*by that i mean all orange bikes of course
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I declare myself uninterested - thankyou from stopping me making a big (hypothetical) mistake!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    benpinnick wrote:
    Engineering Question: Technically, aren't all bikes monocoque?
    No.
    Think more "spaceframe"
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    benpinnick wrote:
    Engineering Question: Technically, aren't all bikes monocoque?
    No.
    Think more "spaceframe"

Disagree.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    You reckon they are monocoque, Nick?
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Technically speaking, I'm with Yeehaa on this, but I can see why Nicklouse would disagree.

Most bikes aren't a unitary conctruction, but a triangulation of discrete tubular elements. Makes 'em a spaceframe by my reakoning.

I'd also argue that carbon bikes based on the conventional diamond pattern are like wise spaceframes, albeit single piece (their loadpaths are identical to a spaceframe)

Whilst there are proper 'monocoque' bikes out there, they're few and far between (and for road racing, largely banned by the UCI).
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Anonymous
    Doesn't the UCI ban all innovation in road cycling though?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This is more correctly a spaceframe bike

moulton-pylon_detailansicht.jpg

Small structural members using geometric patterns, normally triangulated
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Better use Maserati Birdcage

4001525873_6a8252b335.jpg

1960-maserati-birdcage.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    cooldad wrote:
    Small structural members using geometric patterns, normally triangulated
    Doesn't that precisely describe a bicycle though?
  • cooldad
    I kind of thought about that while I was typing. But bikes get a lot of their strength (torsional strength) from heavy non triangulated pipes. A spaceframe would have an outrigger with small triangulated members for torsional strength. Not sure about the terminology.

Suggest moving this to crudcatcher so we can just post random sh1t and stop trying to sound intelligent.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    I'm not convinced. It's the inherent double-diamond design that gives a bicycle it's strength, without some extremely thick tubing, and a lot more metal. I think.
  • cooldad
    Let's call it a rudimentary spaceframe as I can't think of a good argument, much as I would like to.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Orange have knocked out road bikes in the past so I'd guess it's more then just a re-badged blah. Could be wrong though.

Saw this on the Stif FB page. For those interested there's also pictures of an Orange FS 29er.
  • "Priced at £1,900, Flynn says, "We know we're probably pitched £100-£150 more than other bikes with good carbon frames and Shimano 105 components but our customers being mountain bikers are used to looking at the hidden details like bottom brackets and hubs." "

That was from the Road.cc webpage - is this a sort of backhanded acknowledgement that the bikes are overpriced??? And that MTBers are daft enough to accept paying over the odds?

I thik it looks nice...would like a shot but as I don't road bike I wouldn't notice any of the nuances of the bike...if it is easy to ride and makes me go fast then it is good...but then it isn't marketed at me...looks nice and I'm sure it'll be sold out in no time!
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Clank wrote:
    Technically speaking, I'm with Yeehaa on this, but I can see why Nicklouse would disagree.

Most bikes aren't a unitary conctruction, but a triangulation of discrete tubular elements. Makes 'em a spaceframe by my reakoning.

I'd also argue that carbon bikes based on the conventional diamond pattern are like wise spaceframes, albeit single piece (their loadpaths are identical to a spaceframe)

Whilst there are proper 'monocoque' bikes out there, they're few and far between (and for road racing, largely banned by the UCI).

The spaceframe arguement doesn't stack up for me as a spaceframe construction is a structural framework which is then covered with something (see maserati pics for example) While you could leave a space frame bare, this is an aesthetic choice, rather than engineering principle. A monocoque on the other hand is a structure whose covering, or skin is the structure. Since bikes only have a skin, and no internal structures, I would argue they are all monocoque. I don't think a monocoque construction has to be made in one piece, thats a bit of a mis-leading concept.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Anonymous
    benpinnick, you're talking rubbish. A spaceframe does not have to be covered in a skin, at all.
  • Clank
    benpinnick wrote:
    Clank wrote:

The spaceframe arguement doesn't stack up for me as a spaceframe construction is a structural framework which is then covered with something (see maserati pics for example) While you could leave a space frame bare, this is an aesthetic choice, rather than engineering principle. A monocoque on the other hand is a structure whose covering, or skin is the structure. Since bikes only have a skin, and no internal structures, I would argue they are all monocoque. I don't think a monocoque construction has to be made in one piece, thats a bit of a mis-leading concept.

Riiiiiiiiight. :?

I think you've missed the fundamentals, but you've some interesting reasoning. It's wrong, but it's well considered.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

• cooldad
    Who needs skin
    skinless-man.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick, you're talking rubbish. A spaceframe does not have to be covered in a skin, at all.

And yet a car, constructed in a manner where certain parts, such as the door struts, roof etc are structural and the skin is considered monocoque. Whats the big difference between that and a bike? I agree that a spaceframe is not necessarily covered as I said in my last post.

Fair enough older style HT bikes might be framed structures, but who rides one of those any more? ;)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Clank
    :lol:

I'm calling 'troll'.

• Anonymous
    Clank wrote:
    :lol:

I'm calling 'troll'.
    Yep. Either troll, or idiot. Or both. The perfect storm.
  • benpinnick
    Only one of us rides a Marin. I think that says a lot about your judgement in bike related matters ;)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.