Which Garmin 605 / 705 ?

chris217
chris217 Posts: 217
edited August 2011 in Road buying advice
i am after a decent but basic ...ish sat nav for my road stuff.

looking at the 705 but need to know what package to buy.

all i really want to have is the navigation and maps ( are maps an addition? ) not so bothered about heart rate and cadence etc just need to know where i am going.

budget wise, dont want to be spending £300 and have seen the 705 for £200 at PC world reduced by £130 !! i am assuming this will have all the stuff i need but could do with some advice.

help appreciated , cheers

Comments

• wombler
    wombler Posts: 85
    I bought a 605 but then discovered the barometric altimeter is only in the 705. If you want to know the total ascent on your ride you need the 705. If not, get the 605. They are good kit. :)
  • wombler
    wombler Posts: 85
    ...And the basic maps are bad, so you'll want to get extra maps. I bought the bundle that included the European maps, but you can get Open Streetmaps for free (may be a little more involved for the install) - there are plenty of threads around on that stuff.
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    I'd not worry about maps, but I would get the cadence and HRM in a bundle if possible, otherwise that's another £80 that you will want to spend :D

velomaps.org ;)
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    I find it too slow and clunky to use for maps. I end up using the smartphone to see where I am.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Chris I use my 705 but the basic maps are well rather basic so you might want to see if the shop can demo them for you.

As for the bundle sounds like your not bothered with anything other than mapping but would check with the store what kit it will come with as the H/R and cadence kits are quite good even if your not serious about training or looking to use the Garmin for that.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.