Stumpjumper suitablity

Matt88
Matt88 Posts: 83
edited August 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi, after ages of deciding what bike to get, ive settled on a stumpjumper ht comp and have one on order to my local concept store. Their demo bike rode great and went extremely fast up hills.

However, my only worry is that with only 90mm of travel, it wont be able to cope with much. I dont plan on doing dh or anything like that with it, just mostly xc (which it should be great for), and trails up dartmoor and haldon forest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8zwdakMZ5g An example of probably the roughest terrain i'd use it on.

Would it be able to cope with this sort of use?

Also sorry for posting a lot of threads recently about what bike to get, i've just started to ride seriously and i've had a lot of questions. :)

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It could take it but I would rather have something a bit less racey on those trails to have more fun.
    A hardtail is fine, I would just prefer something with more travel & slacker geometry so I could have more fun on the descents.
    Aluminium hardtails aren't too much fun on rocky trails, steel or carbon is more comfortable.
  • I had a 2010 Stumpjumper Comp HT, I loved it, threw it down plenty of Rocky downhills in The Lakes, Peak District and various trail centres, was good for me. :lol: Hope that helps.
    Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 2010
    Yeti SB66
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Aluminium hardtails aren't too much fun on rocky trails, steel or carbon is more comfortable.
    Generalise much?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Matt88
    Matt88 Posts: 83
    Cheers for the replies :p

Good to hear it can take a beating, though i wont be nothing anything too insane with it. I'm heading down tomorrow to pick it up. Now hoping its it fits me ( i'm 185cm, found the 19'' version too small, got the 21 ordered). :D