Tyre Choice - Whinlatter etc

mattrgee
mattrgee Posts: 157
edited August 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I did the Altura trail at Whinlatter yesterday and had a great time, but I struggled when the trail became wet and slippery. I rode the south loop first which was pretty dry followed by the north loop, I came off twice, both on the rocky berms and again going over some roots.

My Rockrider 8.1 is running the standard tyres: Michelin 2.0 Wild Racer's at 35 psi. While Whinlatter was a one off, I typically ride Gisburn, Dalby and occasionally CYB. Any tyre recommendations for these type of trails? The whether isn't about to get better anytime soon so wet and slippery will be the norm I suspect. Im looking for a tyre which will give me more confidence over wet and slippery roots and rock gardens.

Cheers

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Nobby Nics 2.25or Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1

On One had good deals on the Nobby Nic Evo Folding at £20 each...you might still get some if your lucky
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Howdy :D
    Whinlatter's one of my local haunts and as of yet i've not found the perfect tyre. In the dry i found Shwalbe Ralphs rolled really well, but when it became wet and the track became looser on the exposed climbs i had difficulty with traction, especially on the tight switchbacks. High rollers faired better, but i was slower on the climbs.

Once rocks and roots get wet your best chance (in my opinion) is a wide tyre, at low pressure, with a large surface area to spread your weight.

2.35 high rollers are my go-to now if it looks damp. They're fine if you don't mind the extra drag.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity