Going on a MTB Course

doodoo_voodoo
doodoo_voodoo Posts: 121
edited September 2011 in MTB general
After another "off" caused, in large part, by lack of technical ability, I have booked myself on a two day intermediate course with Ridelines at Glentress on 24/25 September.

Will report back with details...

Comments

• zenistar
    zenistar Posts: 75
    Sounds great, I did a basic skills course a few weeks ago, as I am just getting back into biking after a long layoff, I was amazed at just how much more confidence came from a good 6 hours instruction.
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
    1998 Specialized Rockhopper FS - still going strong!
  • I did a course last year (course 2? i think) with Emma & Tracy. Was excellent and informative, helped a lot with simple things and theorys which gave me a lot of confidence.
    I take with the world domination of alpine bikes that the girls are still allow to do their stuff too?
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • Been looking for a skills course to go on, this sounds really good :)
  • I looked at a few courses. Phoned up about this one before I booked to find out if it was right for me.

I'll let you know how I get on.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    coaching with a propper qualified coach is so so so underrated in my opinion.. it's the best thing you can spend your money on to improve your riding..
    people wont think twice about dropping hundreds on upgrades for their bikes or thousands on a new bike. but are reluctant to spend £100-£120 on a day or two training with a propper coach...
    you will be suprised how much you will improve and how much confidance you will gain from a days coaching,.. learning the fundemantles of mtbing.. even basic things like set up and body position...
    let us know how you get on....
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    delcol wrote:
    coaching with a propper qualified coach is so so so underrated in my opinion.. it's the best thing you can spend your money on to improve your riding..
    people wont think twice about dropping hundreds on upgrades for their bikes or thousands on a new bike. but are reluctant to spend £100-£120 on a day or two training with a propper coach...
    you will be suprised how much you will improve and how much confidance you will gain from a days coaching,.. learning the fundemantles of mtbing.. even basic things like set up and body position...
    let us know how you get on....

Wot he said.

Personally I have used Richard at All Biked Up (Surrey Hills) and cannot recommend him and the team highly enough.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Im booked on a course with Ed Oxley at Gisburn forest in September and I can't wait to get started.

It has to be one of the best ways of improving your riding, a professional telling you what your doing right and wrong, were you can improve your technique, that can't be a bad thing.

Looking forward to the DH drop offs!!!!

GL Lostboysaint with the course and I can't wait to hear your feedback.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    Looking forward to the DH drop offs!!!!

well here's a vid of us after our (huck) drop clinic i would never in a million years of attempted to do these drops especially schleyer before i had my few hours of coaching learning to huck...

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDelcol#p/u/51/qh0vtsbbeQE
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Ohhh Er Misses!!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Stevo210
    Stevo210 Posts: 196
    Ive just come back from a course with Ed Oxley last weekend...absolutely fantastic!!!
    A very easy going relaxed approach, which gradually over the 2 day course built up our essential skills base of weighting and un-weighting the bike, bunny hops, cornering, pumping and jumping, and drops.

I consider myself to be a competent rider as I guess a lot of people do, I wasn't phased by anything we were asked to do as I'd done trickier stuff in the past. But when somebody is watching how you actually ride the obstacles and corrects your stance, advises the correct line choice, you realise how badly you were doing it in the first place!!
    I'll hopefully be able to ride the trails with more smoothness and confidence and above all speed, safely in the future.

Really nice guy and Id recommend staying over at the Dog and Partridge pub (Gisburn Forest Bikes) food and accommodation was perfect.
    :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Not used Ridelines but I know some of the guys and they're top blokes, should be a great experience. Glentress is a great place to do this sort of thing too, bits of everything.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    That's Jedi... Never seen anyone else come as highly recommended.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    thanks northwind.
    :)
  • I did a course with Tony (Jedi) last year and cannot recommend it highly enough.

Seriously the best upgrade you can make.... it looks like a lot of cash to spend, but if a component could have the same impact as 4 hours with Jedi, then they'd be selling it for much more.

The sessions seem to follow the same basic structure, have a look on his website at the write-ups, but the thing that set Tony aside from other trainers for me, was that he really tailors the teaching style to how you best learn. If you respond to visual cues, then there'll be lots of video work, if you're more wordy, then he changes the approach accordingly. He's not called Jedi for nothing - he really gets inside your head! Not only does he know his stuff, but he's really able to coach you on it.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Good to see some +ve endorsements, thank you. Birthday coming up in November so a bit of one on one with Jedi looks like a good pressie :)

(In my census form I put myself down as a Jedi Master - I may have to re-submit...)
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    lol :)