Poor Shifting - Down To Kit?

WisePranker
WisePranker Posts: 823
edited August 2011 in Workshop
I've noticed that my shifting seems to be getting worse since I've fitted a smaller cassette.

The bike is a Boardman road comp running an FSA compact chainset with Apex long cage rear mech and shifters. The bike originally ran an 11-32 cassette but I've swapped it for a 11-26 and shortened the chain accordingly.
The shifting isn't too crisp and has the odd ghost shift now and again. I was wondering if the combination of long cage mech and the 11-26 cassette would cause problems? Should I look at changing the mech or would it just need adjusted correctly?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    more likely down to poor set up, after changing anything set up should be looked at.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    My favourite youtube video on adjusting gears

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzvfCaIbyQ
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Check the b-adjustment screw on the back of the derailleur. It will have been set to give a 6mm gap to the 32 sprocket from the top jockey wheel if set correctly. This needs resetting to suit the 26 sprocket now you've changed the cassette. I generally do this before fitting the chain with a 6mm allen key.
  • Excellent. I never even thought of checking the b screw!

That YouTube video is great, makes it look so much easier than some of the other how-to videos for adjusting gears.

One thing I have noticed is that the top jockey pulley seems to be out of line with the sprockets, it's almost like it's twisted. I've checked my MTB and that looks the same. I take it it's meant to be like that?