Birthday Present

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Right, mate of mine is turning 40 this year, next week actually, and I need to get him a present.

His wife's got him a Garmin 800 and I want to get him something cycling related. He's a house husband and has time to train so we were thinking about some kind of event that would be an experience and a target to train for.

However, the 2012 Etape courses aren't announced until October and I don't think either of us will be able to find the time to train for the Marmotte. He's trying to rope me into the Vätternrundan next year so that's off the list.

I'm only interested in paying the entry and then we'll just to it as family holidays, so France would probably be our best bet as spouses and kids will be coming along for moral support.

So, any other ideas or am I getting him a case of wine?
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Ardechoise or Time-Megeve entry?

Fwiw, I think you'd be fine on the Marmotte; it's surprising just how much fitness your longer commute will give you, and you're able to supplement this with the odd club run. Throw in some through and off sessions in the Park on the way home, and you'll be in good shape.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Wine and cheese. A bit of practice.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Quebrantahuesos?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Ooohhh, the Time-Megeve looks good. His sister lives in Geneva so that would be accommodation taken care of.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I think London Livvy has done that one, so could give some tips.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."