Brooks saddle is dead

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
My B17 has got unprecedentedly wet over the last few days and it has kind of crumpled up and looks like a pasty thats been dropped in a muddy puddle.

Any cure for this that anyone knows?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like time for a feed and possibly an adjustment of the tension.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,609
    Leather stretches when wet, so it's a question of whether it's stretched too much or not. I've read a couple of posts on other forums that suggest lacing the edges together to take up slack (need to punch holes in either side) or using a strap to pull them into shape while damp, plus there is the tension bolt at the nose of the saddle. If it's stretched too much, though, it's new saddle time, although the general consensus seems to be that they should be able to cope with getting pretty soggy.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • clarkey cat
    Ok cheers. Just need to find the spanner for the bolt at the nose...
  • rjsterry
    Don't go too mad with the tension - you're not aiming for 'drumskin'
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Have you ridden it when wet though? If so it might actually be a gonner. Make sure you put some proofide on it so that it stops the absorption of water. Also - you could email brooks with pictures - they are usually quite happy to help, or you could go to one of their dealers.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Sheldon says playing with the tension bolt is almost bound to end in disaster. If the saddles knackered anyway though I guess it's worth a try.
  • clarkey cat
    yes I have ridden it when wet - its properly shaped like my arse now and is a complete state. I think its a gonner. Looks like a tramps boot,
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Relax. Let it dry (NOT force dry, just at ambient) then proofide the bejasus out of it WHEN IT'S DRY.

It will have stretched if ridden sopping, but should largely contract back as it dries slowly.

I'd be very surprised if it's not rescuable.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • clarkey cat
    it looks better today and had it on for the club run - pretty comfy actually with my arse cheeks printed on to it,
  • rjsterry
    it looks better today and had it on for the club run - pretty comfy actually with my ars* cheeks printed on to it,

Read up a bit more after posting above and "don't panic - it'll be fine if you let it dry out gently, then re-proofide" seems to be pretty much where everyone gets to. Sounds like that's the case here.
    Pinnacle Monzonite