Taxis - You've got to laugh!

thecrofter
thecrofter Posts: 734
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Commuting in this morning, I was sitting at a set of traffic lights in the ASL with a taxi beside me. As the lights changed the traffic from the left was still clearing the junction, the taxi charged forward and ranted and raved at the last car through the lights, which had probably gone through the lights as they reached red. As I passed the taxi I pointed out that the green light we had meant that we could proceed "if the way is clear". I was not hugely surprised by the taxi driver's reaction, most of which would be caught by the profanity filter.

So half a mile down the road, just as I was approaching my work, I was waiting to turn right in the middle of a set of traffic lights, eventually the lights went to amber and I started to move towards my exit from the junction, just then a taxi goes through the light on red and down the road I was heading for. You've guessed it! The same taxi. He didn't seem impressed by me pointing out that he'd just gone through a red light, it took him a moment but he realised I was the same cyclist and gave me another mouthful of abuse, as I laughed at the irony of the situation.

Kept me smiling all morning that has!
You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    :lol:

Had a taxi flash me this week for taking the lane along Embankment, not sure where he wanted to go as there was another taxi a few feet in front of me! As the traffic inevitably bunched gave him a wave and filtered onward..
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Yeah, I've definately mellowed, life is far too short to get wound up like some of these idiots do.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    You should have D locked the bugger..... :wink:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    They will be the first up against the wall when the revolution comes.
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Gussio wrote:
    They will be the first up against the wall when the revolution comes.

No they won't. It'll be the plasterers... :wink:
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    a taxi man was ok to me earlier today, i snapped my chain, an a taxi driver who was parked up offered me a tissue as he see my hands were getting covered in oil.

The driver was then asking if its fixable...you see so they aint all bad
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    mudcow007 wrote:
    a taxi man was ok to me earlier today, i snapped my chain, an a taxi driver who was parked up offered me a tissue as he see my hands were getting covered in oil.

it was all lies just to try to get a fare....
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    mudcow007 wrote:

He just wanted a moving target... :wink:
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    mudcow007 wrote:

No my good man, its a singlespeed.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    mudcow007 wrote:

That would be a taxi driver and a Liverpool one at that. Cabbies are a unique london breed who go through vigorous bastard training. It takes a few years but it means that they hit the streets of the capital with a hatred for pretty much everything.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Trying to make a long story short. The barman from my local fell off his bike at about 2am one winter's night outside my house. I was trying to pick him up off the road as he was completely off his tits, a cab was trying to drive past through the narrow gap. I had a go at the cabbie and he told me to calm down as he was parrking up so he could help me. Cabbie then held him up while I went indoors to put some more clothes on and drove him home with me tagging along for help if needed. Then drove me back home and wouldn't take a penny for his trouble. Rare for a cabbie to pick up a fare thatcan't stand unaided, let alone not take any money. Top bloke, I was impressed. Not all can be tarred with the same brush, some of them are cnuts though.